Coolant Loss, Hard Cold Starts, High Opacity, Tapping Sound upon Start up

Skils

Reaction score
So, I have been lurking for over a year on this site and now am in deep on needing direction. Where do I start?
The background: I beat my truck hard over the summer. 14 hours of driving and had her overheat pulling around 18k over mountain passes in Colorado. No EGT :dunno I replaced the thermostat and it solved the overheating. Did a flush too. I am convinced the partially opening of t-stat proves how ineffective the factory gauges can be. YES I know EGT would save something here. Ever since, Ol' Gracie smokes more, especially with load and upon cold starts. I think it is white smoke upon starting and black with heavy load. I am guessing the rings got a little more worn, not full meltdown. But, now she doesn't pass inspection ~43% opacity under load and at 30 mph in 3rd gear. Also, I have a slight and inconsistent popping sound when starting. I don't think she has the power others state, but never drove another idi with a 4k camper at altitude. Furthermore, I can only spend so much on diagnosing equipment. (compression tester, timing equipment, pop tests, valve spring puller, etc) I replaced injectors with untested remanned BB injectors over the summer and have a ip coming shortly. 225k original miles. unknown mileage on pump and injectors. Again, I know I should do them together, but cannot afford everything at one time.
Where should I go next?
With coolant loss, is this a sign of cavitation, head gasket, or both? I also pulled my valve cover and found gunk in the front section. Not milkiness, but chunky oil globules. Oh yeah my engine is filthy on the outside...everywhere! Oil leaks, but nothing outstanding around the head.
Should I spend on compression testor to see how bad things are? Or is the 20psi test a better (debatable) way to diagnose each cylinder?
Do I just need to adjust timing/ replace ip? I believe it may solve the popping sound.
Could the valve guides be worn? Or maybe a sticky hydraulic lifter. I bought a stethoscope today and will play doctor. May throw ATF in the oil too because I read so much from IDIot :yell:
I know a complete tear down will be inevitable, but not yet...I hope.