converting a 96 to 4wd

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Some people don't mind a little work if they don't have to make payments when the work is done. I figure I might have $2000 into my 2wd to 4wd swap when I'm done and that paid for a D60 F350 front axle, all new brakes, u-joints, wheel studs, two ZF-5spd transmissions, NP205 divorced t-case, spring bushings, shackles, 4 KYB shocks, new u-bolts and etc.....I'll have a killer rig with no payments and that's the best part....Just my 2 cents, I can't blame some for wanting a newer rig and being willing to pony up the dough for it.

I was responding to spending 15,000 for a 1996 pickup that probably has 100,000-150,000 miles on it. You'd have to make payments on it, and you'd probably keep it half as long as if you had bought a new one.

I completely understand your point of view. I had it too until my pife pointed out to me that I was spending $400/month in maintenance on my truck, and a new one could be purchased with a payment not too far north of that.

By the way, I still regret buying my truck. I should have gotten the wife a new car and just purchased a less crappy truck for myself. I can't use it like a truck and just bought myself a 1994 powerstroke to drive around and use. Sad, isn't it?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah i think it boils down to the monthly payments every time. i know i'd be in a new truck if i wanted to make the payments. i'm self employed so every bill i have means more work i have to drum up. no steady paycheck.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya, see it all the time....Pretty trucks, big payments and they won't work them for fear of scratching the paint....LOL...I basically paid $5000cdn for a truck with 407km on it, after having it for 6 or 7 months I must say it's worth every penny....I love it.;Sweet ...It only gets better with every upgrade I make.:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, see it all the time....Pretty trucks, big payments and they won't work them for fear of scratching the paint....LOL...

I like people that do that;Sweet .... Let's me buy a really nice truck at about 1/2 price to put to work with lower payments and without taking the big first hit on depreciation.

On my new '06 I just finished yanking the bedliner, center console, toolbox and fancy chrome lugnut covers, intalled a 10BC fire extinguesher, reflective triangles, CB and coax today getting it ready to be a road tractor. Gotta put in the 23k fifth wheel and 23k gooseneck tuesday then the mudflaps, new tool chest and Extang R/T tonneau cover and take it in for a federal DOT inspection.

Putting it to work in January pulling travel trailers, boats and horse trailers. Been off the road for 8 years and looking forward to working again after being medically retired for the last 2-1/2 years.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people would call me nuts for what I do with my truck.