Con Rod Bolts.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What are some thoughts on re-using connecting rod bolts? I have always re-used in the past and have never had an issue. As I read deeper into the subject, many folks seem to suggest that rod bolts should ALWAYS be replaced. Granted, they are usually talking about high rpm engines not diesels but still curious.
Also when torqueing them, are they torqued to spec and that all; or are they torqued to spec and then another 1/4 turn? I'm getting different feedback on this also.

Any thoughts would be great. Doing a 466 at the moment (at the stage of torqueing the rod bolts) and doing another 6.9 here once the 466 is up and running again.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find a new set, go ahead and replace them. But....they can also be re-used. Just depends on how far you want to go when rebuilding an engine, as $'s tend to add up very quickly.
When I had my 6.9 rebuilt from the ground up, my builder strongly recommended that we replace them while it was apart. He was able to find a new set for a good price.
Can't help you on the bolt torque specs :dunno. Someone will chime in sooner or later