Charging problems

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1994 f350 with the 7.3 Idi, I drive this truck nearly daily and keep an eye on gushes so it's a new problem. I get in it start it all seems normal, turns over fine and starts, battery guage fluctuates while GP's cycle, usually it jumps to normal after they stop but it didn't this time. I leave out thinking the cold snap might have drained a little more juice but it never did charge up. I get to my jobsite and check voltage at the pass side battery running it's 12.8vdv. I kill the truck, finish my shift same thing as before, I make it back home go to look at it this morning both batteries are at 11vdc with cable unhooked, so I'm charging batteries and gonna try to check a few more things, this is my service rig and I leave in 6hrs so some check points to weed out some time would be appreciated.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did you last replace the batteries? Sounds like you are due for two new ones. Always buy both batteries at the same time or you will kill the new one by using it with the bad one.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for loose cables. Maybe check the voltage while running to see that it is charging. My batteries read 12.99 volts when fully charged. I believe alternators should be around 14 volts when charging.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batteries aren't that old, less than 2 yrs, I'm measuring output from the alternator and my understanding is that it should put out at least 13vdc. I did charge the batteries up individually and started the truck so I could do some more testing and within about 5mins the alternator was so hot I couldn't remove the connectors from it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your alternator is bad, it will ground out between the 12V+ lug, and the case.
replace alternator and check cables.

how bad is your idit?

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Idit was pretty spry but wants changed and I sold it to acquire my current rig but it's n/a.

I ordered the alternator ima put it on today and see, the drain and the low charge rate was getting to me because I was overthinking things hopefully.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha lol, but sure, don't you make custom Idi parts, wanna hook me up on my current?

Oh btw I replaced the alternator and so far things seem well, figure I'll give it a day or two and see if it drains the batteries again.
I appreciate the help guys.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Haha lol, but sure, don't you make custom Idi parts, wanna hook me up on my current?

Oh btw I replaced the alternator and so far things seem well, figure I'll give it a day or two and see if it drains the batteries again.
I appreciate the help guys.
Hey, im having the same issue and im curious if the new alternator fixed yours

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I had same issue in my build and replaced with a 100 amp alternator without results just to find out one of my grounds weren't tight on the back of my heads against firewall. Worst part was I installed a turbo and of course it was on the passenger side head behind the up pipe. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx