changing my trans filter

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im changing the spin on, the current ones leaking. i got a quart of dex/merc ATF to replace what ive lost and the 8 oz in the filter. am i good to go with this? or should i just drain it and refill it? and what fluid do i refill it with and how much, never did any trans stuff to this truck. just need some guidance here.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
You might want to drop the pan clean it, change all the fluid and filter . Then fill with synthetic fluid . I recommend Amsoil.

89F350

Reaction score
I changed mine with the allison spin-on filter (the red one), and 8 qts of Castrol Transynd. Just like changing the engine oil; done in 30 minutes.

I also drained the transfer case, and refilled with Transynd. Drained about 1.6 qts original factory oil (I measured it); the refill took just about 2 qts. Walmart sells a little hand pump for draining outboard motor lowers. It's on the shelf near their boat stuff. This pump screws right onto a 1 qt oil container. Makes refilling the t-case easy. Take about a bazillion pumps, though. A friend uses an old holley self-contained electric fuel pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online