Changing injector this afternoon... any tips?

discbrks

Reaction score
I'm going to install my G codes this afternoon. I about to run to the parts store to get a 1" socket. Anything I should know before the swap? I'm putting these in so that I can have the turbo injectors for my turbo install in a few weeks. It looks pretty straight forward. The only one that looks hard to get to is the # 1 cylinder (beside the fuel filter bracket). I have plenty of beer... what else do I need?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
make sure the copper washes are out, kind of a PITA to remove but a pick works great. throw some anti-sieze on the threads and torque them to spec (which i cant remember, heh).

did u get the return line kit? if not i would wait because those plastic caps dont like to be taken on and off.

when was the last time the glow plugs were changed...just something to think about while its apart.

u'll enjoy those injectors, i know i sure do. had mine in since janurary and couldnt be happier. i turned my pump up 1 flat and it runs like a champ.

discbrks

Reaction score
I just got them all out. Man! that was a lot easier than I thought. All of them had wet tips except for 1.. the driver's rear. The pass. rear had a lot of crusty stuff on the "barrel" (between the top threads & the tip). Anyway, I'll post pics of the old ones when I get these in. Maybe 7 out of 8 were slobbering fuel. Copper washers came out w/ the injectors. Return line kit changed last year, but I will use the new o-rings. I got a spare set of caps if I need them. I'm gonna clean out the holes, slather them in antisieze, and hope she fires up. I'm getting excited now! Thanks for the input Optikal!

discbrks

Reaction score
I got them all in... haven't installed caps yet. Any idea on torque specs? I'm only 140lbs soaking wet - I don't think I have enough "oomph" to over tighten them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
35 ft lbs on those injectors . don't forget the antisieze compound or you'll hate yourself next time.

discbrks

Reaction score
I got 'em in. So far I don't notice any power difference, but the truck sounds different. Here's the pics of the old ones. Whats that crusty stuff on #7?

Attachments

• injectors 001.JPG
    injectors 001.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 11
  • injectors 002.JPG
    injectors 002.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 11
  • injectors 003.JPG
    injectors 003.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads