Changed standpipes and dummy plugs, still doing the same thing.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Truck is an 04, so no STC fitting to worry about. Just changed the standpipes, and dummy plugs, and is still a long crank when cold, and no start hot. I unplugged the sensor on the passenger side valve cover, and nothing changed. Any ideas?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Have it on a scanner to see what it's doing?
Its really difficult to tell without otherwise. Hate to have ya changing parts unnecessarily.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those early trucks had problems with pumps going weak. But depending on when it was built in 04 it could have an stc. Does it have straight or wavy oil rails?
Edit: Just re-read your post, if the ICP sensor is in the valve cover the engine DOES have an STC fitting on the HPOP.

Last edited:

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Actually, it's a morphodyte engine. It was built right at the breakover. It has the wide rails, and the old style pump. I took it to a shop, and the mechanic pointed this out to me.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the HPOP cover cast iron or aluminum? Cast iron is old style pump, aluminum cover is 2004.25 up.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
It's cast. The truck build date was 06/04. apparently, this was one of the last of the morphodyte change-over engines.