CAT ELC

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a read on another thread that residule water in the system when used with ELC will cause sludge?? If i mix the system 4 gallons CAT ELC concintrate with 4 gallons distilled will i have a problem??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have not heard of that before. Maybe others will chime in later but not from what I know will that happen...:dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a read on another thread that residule water in the system when used with ELC will cause sludge?? If i mix the system 4 gallons CAT ELC concintrate with 4 gallons distilled will i have a problem??
I've been told in the past that mixing water and ELC is a very bad thing, and can lead to sludge in the system. However, I just read this file from Caterpillar and they're saying now that deionized water (or even conventional coolant) is acceptable to add in an emergency. I distinctly remember them saying that mixing water or conventional coolant was a very bad thing to do, so I think they changed their stance on it in recent years.

I saved and am attaching the .pdf file to this post for posterity, in case Cat changes the URL...

BTW, I would suggest not switching to ELC unless you've replaced your oil cooler O-rings fairly recently. I've heard horror stories about old O-rings failing shortly after switching over, although that could also be related to the stories about engines developing leaks after switching to synthetic oil. FWIW I renewed my cooling system completely in 2004, and I've been running ELC ever since and it's been working very well for me! ;Sweet

Attachments

• elcfaq.pdf
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • elcsheet.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 0

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but, From the factory in my 6.0L PSD I have the "MotorCraft Gold Coolant" Is this also a type of OAT ELC, so something entirely different? I am getting close to the coolant change interval, and would it be best to "stick with whats in there" or switch to something else. I do know, do not flush and run "the good old green stuff"....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert