C6 Transmission...HELP!

collinmcmaster

Reaction score
This is cross posted on another forum and without any helpful responses from the moderator there, I would not have any. So, I come to you guys!

I have an 86 F350 with a 6.9idi back by a C6 transmission.

Quick backstory: Torque converter went out, i personally rebuilt the transmission and put it back in. Unfortunately, i forgot to flush the cooling system while it was out. While the pan was clean when i took the transmission out, all the crap was in the cooling system.

Over the course of about 150 miles, I realized that it would shift great when the fluid was cold, and it would also have plenty of power in reverse. Once the fluid warmed up, it would seemingly start in 2nd gear or slip so bad it was hardly a noticable shift to 2nd.. 2nd to 3rd shift was always fine. In reverse with warm fluid, it would slip so bad i would have zero power, just wind up the motor.

Thats when i realized i didn't flush the cooling lines like I had planned.

I dropped the pan, changed the filter (it looked like hell and clogged after 150miles from the converter contaminant that was finally flushed through when driving), and flushed the cooling system (metal bits everywhere). The torque converter that I put in did have a drain plug but for some reason it is not accessible via the window. I have only put in valvoline dex/merc since rebuild. Dipstick says Dex2 for fluid.

The problem I am having after the fluid change (maybe 8qts worth) is the same, but VERY much less pronounced when in drive. Now when warm, i still get 'mostly' great shifts from 1st to 2nd from a stop everytime, but nothing like the first when the fluid is cold. Reverse is still very pronounced, where i have tons of power when the fluid is cold and i could back up a mountain it seems, once the fluid has warmed a tad, i couldn't back up an ant hill.

I did put a transgo shift kit in it, but some of the install instructions seemed confusing. It is the only part of the rebuild i have possible thoughts about. But i'm almost at a loss. Crap in the valve body? Too much bad fluid and contaminents still to get out?

I have verified the VRV is adjusted correctly, there is adequate vacuum at the modulator per spec, the governer is extremely clean ( i pulled it when i did the fluid change), and the 2nd gear band is per the book.

Any thoughts?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest thing for you to do would be to drop the valve body and go through it, clean it and double check your shift kit install.
You could have bits of cr*p all through out that trans.
Do the valve body and hope for the best.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a gauge and check line pressure, you may have a bad pump, metal from the convertor will kill it. Converters dont go out on c-6's. What did it do?

collinmcmaster

Reaction score
The internal splines that engage the input shaft all sheared off.

I plan to install an inline filter along with going through the valve body. I will post back results but always welcome to other ideas

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High miles? I have honestl never seen that. And ive done literally hundreds of c6.

Where in WA?

collinmcmaster

Reaction score
Olympia.

Truck has 350k on it. The torque converter itself was a forest green color without a single marking on it. I'm not sure if this was stock or not?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bare steel from factory. Oregon converter used to be green.

collinmcmaster

Reaction score
I ordered a spin on type setup to be placed in the return line from the cooler. I'll run a filter for a hundred miles or so then swap it out. I'll run a second filter for about 200 miles or so and at that point i'll drop the pan, swap out the C6 filter and rebuild/clean the valve body. This will be my last gasp attempt before the inevitable complete rebuild again. I'll post up results to finish off the thread.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could try to switch the rubber lines at the cooler to run the fluid through the other way. Also why the Dexron atf? I thought all c6 transmissions use Type F. If the dipstick says Dexron, could you have the wrong dipstick in there?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anything short of a complete rebuild and flush out the cooler is a waste of time. there is a reverse band adjustment on the side of the trans case, but honestly speaking, you're better off just going through it one more time.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High miles? I have honestl never seen that. And ive done literally hundreds of c6.

Where in WA?

My truck did the same thing to the guy that had it before me when it had a c6. Said he took off from a stoplight and it stopped in the middle of the intersection and wouldn't move. I was wondering if the hammering of the diesel was ******* the torque convertor splines.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try to switch the rubber lines at the cooler to run the fluid through the other way. Also why the Dexron atf? I thought all c6 transmissions use Type F. If the dipstick says Dexron, could you have the wrong dipstick in there?
About 1978 ford went to Dex.

Oh and the band is for 2nd gear.

collinmcmaster

Reaction score
Just want close up this thread that I started.

I Installed a spin on filter on the return from the cooler to the transmission. Ran the rig for about 100 miles, changed spin on filter and ran for another 250 miles. Symptoms were the same throughout. Great when fluid was cold, and poor when fluid had warmed up. I cut open those filters and the first was packed with junk, the second looked much better.

After those 250 miles, i replaced the spin on filter yet again. I also dropped the pan, flushed fluid, and installed a Broader Performance valve body with a new filter.

So far it has been about 1000 miles with no problems at all and very firm tight shifts. We'll see how long it will lasts, but i'm very happy so far. Thanks everyone for their help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88