bypassing oil cooler for coolant flush

abepratt

Reaction score
I've got my 6.0 tore down to do head gaskets, studs, oil cooler, etc. Also got a coolant filter to put on. I'm wondering if there is any way to flush the cooling system without plugging my brand new oil cooler. Can it be flushed while its apart, before I put the new cooler in? Before I blew the heads I had just installed a new (used) radiator, so most of the coolant got changed then. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance!

abepratt

Reaction score
I can't really do that considering the fact that I cut it into four pieces :D I have another used oil cooler cover, is it possible to redneck something together? Can I flush it thru the hole in the block where the intake sits? As you can see I really don't want to take it apart again

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back flush it from the oil cooler. There is a top cover on the oil cooler that will let you flush from there.. meaning clean water/degreaser will flow through the cooler first... then to the egr cooler... then to the heads.

Works great. There are videos on youtube showing how.

On a side note... Zerex ELC is fairly cheap... Can be bought at NAPA for 15-16 per gallon for straight. Its all I use on our shop trucks now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online