Buying 6.0

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you guys with deleted emission components get through a smog test?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A lot of variables there.
Most aren't in smog check areas.
Also depends on visual test vs opacity only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you guys with deleted emission components get through a smog test?

Correct, I live in Indiana, we have 0 vehicle inspections, safety or emissions. There may be 1 or 2 counties in the Chicago area that might, but in Central Indiana, there is nothing. Basically, you give the state your plate fees, they mail you a plate/sticker and you go on your way.

I have an EGR Delete, but still have the stock exhaust with the Cat and Muffler...... which may "fall off", but, even with this setup and the 08 "inductive heating flash" in the PCM, I only get a very light haze you can see in the headlights behind you if you are really working it. As I've said before, a stock 6.0 doesn't smoke, it may haze, but if it's stock and fills a lane with soot, then there is something wrong, or it's tuned.

Now states like Kommifornia, everything has to stay 100% there, as they do a visual/opacity and I believe an OBD2 scan on the vehicle. @DaveBen might be able to give more insight as he has a 6.0 and lives in Cali. I think his truck is 100% Stock though.

The progression of emission control in the Ford Diesels was:

83-94 6.9/7.3 IDI, later 7.3's had the injectors move slightly out of the precup and blocked a coolant passage in the head to prevent leaks, and make the head run hotter.

95.5-03 7.3 PSD's, some had cats, and the Cali emission had a Glow Plug Control Module, rather than a controller/relay similar to the IDI's and they used split shot injectors instead of the single shot injectors.

03.25-07 6.0 PSD's all had Cats and EGR

08-10 6.4 PSD's had EGR, Cats and DFP which started the regen stuff.....

11-Present 6.7 PSD's have EGR, Cats, and DFP with DEF...... even more fun......

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As said before, it depends in what ki d of test they perform. Most are a visual inspection of the egr cooler, egr valve and cat. Some do that and a throttle snapping to check for smoke.

I'm registered in Florida, so no inspections at all.

I have friends in NY with dummy EGR coolers and hollow cats. They have custom tunes that derate the engine to the point that it won't smoke at all that they load when they go for the inspection. Kinda like what VW was doing lol

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had my truck smogged once in 2010. Now Calif does not require an inspection. They did a visual check and hit the throttle for smoke. No OBD II scans or anything else.

reelfishin

Reaction score
If your at all still on the fence about whether to buy a 6.0 or 7.3l, drive one of each, there's no comparison. I recently bought a super low mileage 2003 6.0L, (12,000 original miles and garage kept). I drive a 2002 7.3L at work with only 55k on it, the 7.3L runs strong but it doesn't have near the pulling power my 6.0 has.
I went looking for one of these after driving one a buddy bought new last summer. I borrowed it to haul a new enclosed car trailer home. Having made that same trip years ago in my 1988 IDI dually, I was pretty amazed at how much torque the 6.0 had. The truck I borrowed had 223,000 miles on it and never had any engine or trans issues and he's used his to haul a 30' enclosed trailer all over the country.
I use mine as my personal truck, I have many trailers, and I tow my boat and camper with it.
I've had mine now for just over a week, I've put nearly 2,000 miles on it so far and have gotten between 20 to 22 mpg out of it. Mostly its been all highway driving but nearly all miles have been with a trailer in tow.
I don't think the 7.3L gets the fuel economy that a 6.0L gets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online