Build Thread:: 1979 f150 7.3 IDI Conversion (Old Ironsides)

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined the forum recently, since I want to do a thread on my latest project, dropping a 7.3 IDI into my 1979 f150. I have done a great amount of research prior to taking on this project, and since quite a bit of the information I have found has come from this forum, I want to share how this build goes in the hope that it helps someone else considering doing something similar.

Anyhow.. here's some background on the truck. Earlier in the year I purchased this f150 from a gentleman who bought it new back in 1979. When I got the truck, it was in pretty sad shape, on top of which it had been sitting for several years due to a burnt up automatic trans. This was the end of the trucks life for the previous owner, and the condition that I bought it in. By the way, the name the truck was already given when i bought it was "Old Ironsides", so that is where my username and the name in the thread title have come form. What the truck is exactly is a 4x4 with a 351M, C6 auto, married NP205 transfer case, a ford 9 inch out back, and a high pinion dana 44 up front. Here's a picture of it as it was when I first got it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not very impressive looking... and although the body is pretty well rusted out (besides the bed, although it doesn't match lol), the frame and rest of the chassis is in excellent condition. The first thing I did when i got the truck was to source a good c6 trans for it, and got it running well. Then it over the next few months it got a complete brake job, new tires, and other miscellaneous parts to make it a safe and somewhat reliable driver. I then finally did something about how ugly it was, and painted the whole truck one color... It isn't fancy, and was done with a paint brush, but it doesn't look too bad from a ways away.

This is how i drove it for a while, and it was running pretty well, though even with a rebuilt carb and whatnot, it still had issues running well all of the time. The engine was pretty tired anyway, since this truck used to travel around with a slide in camper. This truck even went to Washington state twice from here in CT according to the gentleman i bought it from, so it has certainly been well used. On top of this, I couldn't afford to keep driving it very much at the 6-7 mpg it was getting....

And that is what brings me here... since i made the decision to pull out the old 351M and c6, in favor of a 7.3 IDI and ZF5. This obviously started by me sourcing a good used engine and transmission, and i was lucky enough to find one locally from a great guy that was parting out a badly rotted 1989 f350.

I did hear this IDI run and was able to make sure the transmission seemed alright since the setup was still in the truck when I went to go look at it a few weeks before picking it up. Once I had the engine, transmission, clutch assembly, etc that i bought back home, it was time to start taking my truck apart.

And just like that, It is down to bare frame rails to start the measuring and modifying that needs to be done to get the IDI slid back in there. I started out by taking the transmission and seeing how it sat on the old mount for the auto, and how far off it was.

From where it is sitting in those pictures, it needs to go back a few inches, so some clearance may need to be cut into the cab. The way i am approaching this build it to locate everything off of the transfer case mount, so that in the end the t case will be back in its original position, and i should not have to do anything as far as lengthening and shorting drive shafts. I don't think this will be too difficult to accomplish, since the overall length of the ZF5 is only 1/4" longer than the C6. To locate the transmission where it needs to be, i decided to use the newer style trans mount that is much smaller, and easier to re mount on the cross member. The bigger greasy mount in the picture is the one from the C6 that will not be used.

After carefully measuring and remeasuring and measuring one more time to be sure i was where i needed to be, i laid out the marks on the crossmember and grabbed the drill, with a final bit size of 1/2" and drilled the two new holes for the transmission mount.

And this is as far as i have gotten so far on my conversion. Next is going to be to remount the transmission in the new location, and to figure out where new motor mount towers need to be fabricated. I plan on posting updates as I go through this project, and I hope everyone enjoys!

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much work, and you make it look simple

Well, much simpler than my nightmares

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners first off and wow first post a project and all kinda of pics...that's just awesome!

Take some time and fill in your signature for us please.

Damn...looks like a nice project for sure love the old dent and bump sides

What tcase you got there?

Keep up the work and pictures.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you thinking for your front end? Heavier coils or switch to something with leaf springs? Cool build. Love the older trucks.

Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners first off and wow first post a project and all kinda of pics...that's just awesome!

Take some time and fill in your signature for us please.

Damn...looks like a nice project for sure love the old dent and bump sides

What tcase you got there?

Keep up the work and pictures.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

Thanks! and I have added some info into my signature

She has a np205 t-case, which I'm planning on keeping with this swap. Have to notch the zf tail housing yet to make it mate up though.

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
What are you thinking for your front end? Heavier coils or switch to something with leaf springs? Cool build. Love the older trucks.

Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to try and keep the coils just for simplicity sake, but I am still trying to decide just how much spring I need to make it sit well. Im thinking ill probably get some 2 inch lift coils and if they still sag too much under the weight then i will try to find some coil spacers (which im not even sure if they make for these springs, havent done much research on it yet). The other option would be to go for 4 inch lift springs, but they might be too tall even under the weight of the IDI without lifting the rear springs at all to keep it level :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to try and keep the coils just for simplicity sake, but I am still trying to decide just how much spring I need to make it sit well. Im thinking ill probably get some 2 inch lift coils and if they still sag too much under the weight then i will try to find some coil spacers (which im not even sure if they make for these springs, havent done much research on it yet). The other option would be to go for 4 inch lift springs, but they might be too tall even under the weight of the IDI without lifting the rear springs at all to keep it level :dunno

Keep your eyes open for a newer superduty with coil spring front end...that's a D60 and you could use that and the radius arms and springs and have a decent front end. Also the rear then disc brake all around but remember those are metric wheel bolt pattern.

Just a thought for you to ponder.

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open for a newer superduty with coil spring front end...that's a D60 and you could use that and the radius arms and springs and have a decent front end. Also the rear then disc brake all around but remember those are metric wheel bolt pattern.

Just a thought for you to ponder.

Ill have to keep that in mind, im hoping to run the 44 as long as i can but if it doesn't react well to that much more weight that sounds like a good option

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my research, a 6.9 weighs ~225 lbs more than that 351m. Also, some early 6.9 trucks came with D44 ttb front ends. If you don't turbo the engine, I don't see any reason why the 44 wouldn't work for this truck, either handling the weight or torque.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice start! We are the proud owners of a nearly identical conversion that we picked up as an already begun "project truck", except that we have a "T-19" B/W instead of the ZF. Even without the five speed transmission that you have, we run a solid 18 to 19 mpg on the highway, so If that is what you are after, I think you will be happy. The rest of the truck is very similar to yours - a 79 F-150 with the same differentials. We have been driving it regularly since finishing the mechanicals in August, and they have held up fine. The truck had a 4" lift on it when we got it, and it is plenty of support up front. I almost wish it was only a 2" lift sometimes, as it is a bit difficult to get into for some people. You will likely find that the left valve cover and the brake booster occupy the same space, meaning you either need to change to a "hydroboost" brake unit, or do a 3" body lift to make room. This is where I say it might be nice sometimes to have a 2" suspension lift instead of 4". The combined 7" of lift may be more than you want. We look forward to watching your progress!

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
From my research, a 6.9 weighs ~225 lbs more than that 351m. Also, some early 6.9 trucks came with D44 ttb front ends. If you don't turbo the engine, I don't see any reason why the 44 wouldn't work for this truck, either handling the weight or torque.

That makes feel better about running it knowing they used a 44 under the 6.9s. I do plan on keeping it N/A also so torque definitely shouldn't be an issue, especially since it probably wont see much time in 4x4 anyhow.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the wheel bearings are smaller for the 5 bolt D44, but I still don't think you'll have problems. Some of those old gas engines were pigs, not weighing much less than a 6.9, and tons of Dana 44s survived.

Old_Ironsides

Reaction score
Nice start! We are the proud owners of a nearly identical conversion that we picked up as an already begun "project truck", except that we have a "T-19" B/W instead of the ZF. Even without the five speed transmission that you have, we run a solid 18 to 19 mpg on the highway, so If that is what you are after, I think you will be happy. The rest of the truck is very similar to yours - a 79 F-150 with the same differentials. We have been driving it regularly since finishing the mechanicals in August, and they have held up fine. The truck had a 4" lift on it when we got it, and it is plenty of support up front. I almost wish it was only a 2" lift sometimes, as it is a bit difficult to get into for some people. You will likely find that the left valve cover and the brake booster occupy the same space, meaning you either need to change to a "hydroboost" brake unit, or do a 3" body lift to make room. This is where I say it might be nice sometimes to have a 2" suspension lift instead of 4". The combined 7" of lift may be more than you want. We look forward to watching your progress!

Hey! glad to have you here, your build thread is one of the ones I spent time studying before taking on this project. That's a nice looking setup you have there. I am after the mileage, so that is awesome that you are getting that numbers that high. I think Im definitely leaning towards just getting 2 inch lift springs for it and going from there. The rear of my truck doesn't have any lift to speak of, but does have a set of helper springs which probably picks it up a little bit. If i can get it to sit close to level I'd be happy with it. I also did do a first test fit with the engine and I found that even though I did get it to clear the booster, there is very little extra space, and when it get the engine where it needs to be it might be in the way. I need to do another update post, in which i'll put a picture of the engine in the bay. there is no doubt that it takes up plenty of space!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online