Buddy says need more power

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Buddy of mine who does not have internet access (full time RV'er) just purchased a new to him 5er ('01 Cedar Creek 38ft triple side 9500lbs dry and 14500 lbs wet) and he is having some performance issues yanking her down the road with his '97 3500 Ext Cab Dually 6.5TD bone stock. Truck runs good otherwise - actually runs like a top but just does not have the umph to go much quicker than 60-65mph in the flats of Florida and is thinking ahead to when they start pulling through the mountains here in a while. He would like to know what he can do.

I suggested larger diameter exhaust but after that I'm lost on the Detroits.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the 97 gm coolings mods then the exhaust. If he has more money to spend do the intercooler and a Westers ECM. I run the ECM in my truck and the intake temps will go sky high in 30 seconds and the computer will cut the fuel back.
look at www.kennedydiesel.com for more info and to get you going in the right direction

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Tell me some about the cooling mods, are you talking rad cooling issues when they are bumped above stock?

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 97 as stated, then doing the 97 cooling mods wouldnt be necessary. I have the same truck, I pull an 11,000 pound travel trailer through the White Mountains (dinky little East Coast stuff). The only thing that slows me down is the real long hills, but I can still come over the top at 50-55. I hate to think what my intake temp is at that point. If I did more of it I would definitely be doing an intercooler, but I dont get much time to go camping. I put a Banks Stinger kit on which consists of a 3.5 exhaust, big downpipe, K&N filter and gauges. That really woke the truck up, especially since the factory cat was plugged up bad. I also put on a Heath Turbo Master mechanical wastegate control. It smoothed out the erratic boost, but it also makes the ECM set over boost codes a lot, even though I'm only running about 9 lbs at 70 mph. I don't know as I'm real happy with the turbo master. I just added a PS 2000 propane injection kit, got a slight increase in mileage and a decent increase in power. I haven't pulled the camper yet with the propane, but that was one of the reasons I wanted it, to try and keep more momentum up on the hills. So, the first thing he needs to do is the exhaust and gauges, then go from there. I was going to do an ECM upgrade, but somebody told me that if you have the heavy duty engine programming (VIN code F) it won't make much difference. I'm sure he probably does because its a DRW 3500. Tell him not to listen to all the crap from people who say you gotta have a PSD or a Cummins to pull big. He already has a nice truck that will get the job done in comfort.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, when I bought the truck I was getting 11 mpg. I am now up over 14, and I'm not complaining!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
DetroitDan said:
Tell him not to listen to all the crap from people who say you gotta have a PSD or a Cummins to pull big. He already has a nice truck that will get the job done in comfort.

Dang nabit... I can't tell him that... Because I have a Cummapart and he was about to dump is drawers in the side seat when I took him for a ride :peelout on a beer run last month...

Nah seriously... So what spot on the vin does or should this F appear? Like spot 5 or 7 or what...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
His I suspect has received good care before him. It's got about 200k on the ticker and she looks great! The paint just shines even when coated with Florida dust. Interior is in excellent shape and under the hood is clean as well. Starts and motors down the road quite well. Just he is not happy with the performance now that he has stepped up in "house" size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.