Buddy got a 6.0, few questions

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Friend picked up an 04 6.0 with 160,000 on the ticker. No EGR delete or studs, just an Edge prgrammer and 4" exhaust. Told him the basics i knew when he went to look at it, now comes the time for what else do i need to know to help him. He is gunna get an EGR delete, studs and new headgaskets soon.

Truck idles smooth, starts quick and runs great with the 6 speed. I didnt dive to deep into it, just checked the overflow for crud. What else should he look into? Any good maintance ideas? Just hppe he keeps the programmer low so it doesnt blow its nuts.

sootman73

Reaction score
Edge is an iffy tuner for the 6.0l's they tend to make power by increasing timing which causes a lot of headgasket failures in these motors. He'd be better off getting rid of that tuner and getting an SCT with custom tunes written by someone with experience tuning these motors.

Also get a scanner on it and check the delta between Engine oil and Engine Coolant temps. shouldn't be more than 10-15 degree differences at highway speeds. (sometimes takes a good 10-15 minute drive after the truck is warmed up to get accurate readings). high oil temps can be a sign of clogged oil cooler.

Also check FICM voltage should never fall below 45-46 volts. if it does it can take out your injectors. Ficm can be changed out in 15 min easily so its not a big job but they are kinda pricey. you can get good ones from ficmrepair.com, Swamps, or Bulletproof diesel.

Get a coolant filter on it too to prevent clogging and over heating best one on the market now is the one from IPR Research its a flow through so it filters all the coolant being pumped not like a bypass.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Thanks ill pass that along. I told him to get an SCT by Innovative i think that was who i was recommened by a few people but he didnt listen...doubt he will now either.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
custom tunes will be better for performance and will be "safer" for the engine/trans.

i've read that a coolant filter is not "mandatory" if you delete the factory style oil cooler and do something like the bullet proof diesel oil cooler(air-air cooler).

lot of guys like the scan gauge II. can monitor all kinds of vital stuff. around $160 from a-zone from what i have read. others like the edge CTS monitor ONLY to monitor engine vitals.

stick with OEM head gaskets.

quality full synthetic oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online