Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I take it you've got another engine sitting around that you're going to put in it?
Also, if you put another engine in it, what parts are getting transferred over to the new one?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
None of the old moose pumped hopped up 6.9 parts will go on this other engine. As much as it pains me to do it. This engine is staying stock. I need it to be dependable for me this winter. I'm moving 200 miles from my family and I won't have my parts or tools to fix it. I'll use the winter to tare down the brown trucks engine and hopefully build it up to last this time.

I got the new engine sitting in the truck yesterday. I'm hoping to have it running tonight.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking with your current situation I would have gone the same direction. Sometime dropping in a running motr and gettin it on the road is more advantageous for the time being. Now you can work ont he other motor at your leisure.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick thought, Do you have a truck sitting around without a motor? Build up the this motor adn get the kinks worked out on a truck you dont have to have everyday. When you have all teh bugs worked out, Pull it and drop it in your truck.

just a thought.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What made the moose pump or the other parts so unreliable?

Nothing made the moose pump unreliable. The moose pump, turbo, and everything else is more than a stock 6.9 can handle in my opinion and I want to play it safe and run this engine in stock NA form for the winter so I dont have to worry about lifting the heads.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Nothing made the moose pump unreliable. The moose pump, turbo, and everything else is more than a stock 6.9 can handle in my opinion and I want to play it safe and run this engine in stock NA form for the winter so I dont have to worry about lifting the heads.

Woudlnt head studs fix that problem?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It was bad machine work on the heads that caused the problem. It's smart though to play it safe on the new engine. Even if you put studs in, you don't know what condition the rest of the block/heads is in.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think sean is going to keep this temporary engine as close to bone stock as he possible can. Under the circomstances I really can't blame him either. There's just fewer things to go wrong that way.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The brown truck lives again!

Its not a cherry engine but it runs and runs pretty good. Its got a bit of a miss at which makes me wonder if it has either a collapsing lifter or a drippy diesel care injector. Its not like it a severe miss but its just not smooth. My fuel pressure regulator that I've had in this truck for the other engine is still leaking so I'm done with that and I'm gonna try JB weld on the threads (its leaking out of the pipe thread fittings). I also have never found a speedometer cable that works with the ZF transmission and my cruise controll sending unit so that needs fixed as well.

Brad, the old engine does have studs in it. It just blew up for whatever reason I don't know for sure. But I'm guessing its because of the shotty machine work on the heads.
I'm working with Cometic trying to get a set of MLS head gaskets made for our trucks. But if that doesn't work out I'll likely send the block out and have it oringed.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Glad to hear its going again!

Did you see this link towcat posted the other day?

http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html

They have a compression ring that gets glued into a solid copper gasket that goes around the cylinder... could be a less expensive way to o-ring an IDI. :dunno

Peaked my interest. It would be nice to see some of the more knowledgeable engine builder types discuss this.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean, can I rent your Moose pump, it shouldnt be setting around getting bored and lonely.:angel::angel:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm working with Cometic trying to get a set of MLS head gaskets made for our trucks. But if that doesn't work out I'll likely send the block out and have it oringed.

MLS gaskets would be sweet, but haven't a number of folks barked up that tree with Cometic before only to find out that they have an insane initial order minimum( they want you to foot the bill for their setup, then they want all the gravy when the profits start rolling in when they make that sucker a stock item :backoff For something that has primary market share potential for turbocharged engines, those suckers should eat the dang setup fee and develope the friggen gaskets and put them into production, instead of sitting on their thumbs waiting on one of us to get rich enough to foot their expenses -cuss They will more than make it up in the long run, but if one of us does it , it's cash down the toilet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sean, can I rent your Moose pump, it shouldnt be setting around getting bored and lonely.:angel::angel:

Lol. Honestly one thing I'm worried about is that pump sitting too long. Should I be worried about that?