Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you get some MLS gaskets made by cometic then you are going to need a very smooth surface for mating. You will likely need to have teh block decked to remove any imperfections.
Copper coat is some good stuff, I used to use it years ago, but for a real good seal you might want to try some spray Hylomar instead. It is applied at the factory on most of the new high tech european diesels head gaskets and they learned that trick from a bunch of us euro diesel mechanics who have been coating the things with teh stuff for years. The hylomar unlike all other sealers, stretches and forms a curtain if a temporary localized hot area causes an uneven expansion so fluids are retained and then when everything goes back to it's normal shape it compresses back. Other sealants simply separate if stressed too far. There is a reason that it is the factory sealant on Rolls Royce jet aircraft engines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall a sealant that was used on a lot of english motorcycles... It was call Hermatite Red.... It never hardened nor burned off. It was best used on metal to metal surfaces. I don't know if its still made or not... Gotta go look it up tonite....:sly

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get some MLS gaskets made by cometic then you are going to need a very smooth surface for mating. You will likely need to have teh block decked to remove any imperfections.
Copper coat is some good stuff, I used to use it years ago, but for a real good seal you might want to try some spray Hylomar instead. It is applied at the factory on most of the new high tech european diesels head gaskets and they learned that trick from a bunch of us euro diesel mechanics who have been coating the things with teh stuff for years. The hylomar unlike all other sealers, stretches and forms a curtain if a temporary localized hot area causes an uneven expansion so fluids are retained and then when everything goes back to it's normal shape it compresses back. Other sealants simply separate if stressed too far. There is a reason that it is the factory sealant on Rolls Royce jet aircraft engines.

When I coated my HGs I was going to go with Hylomar but the copper coat has a higher heat range so I went with it. I used Hylomar for years on John Deere dozer finals and it worked well on those machined flange surfaces with no gaskets.
To date I've towed quite a bit in the 16,000lb range and still holding HG's. Even with a blown off waste gate actuator hose ******* the gauge. I gotta hook up my higher psi boost gauge to see what it gets up to.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I miss my truck guys. :( I really want it back on the road. I've been so busy with work and school that I just haven't had the time to even take the head off yet. I hope the cylinder isn't rusted all up from the antifreeze.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
A guy I work with told me I might as well throw the motor away because I drove it that mile home when it blew up. He says that the antifreeze running in the oil instantly ruins the bearings and they will be so soft I'd probably only get a couple hundred miles out of it now before a spun bearing occurs. I just can't win with this thing.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Ehhhhh...maybe. What does your oil look like now? There is a possibility it was leaking exhaust pressure and not sucking in the coolant. Only way to tell is to either pull it and check, or slap a head on it and go. Either way, pull your drain plug and see if coolant comes out...If none comes out, you may (should) be golden.

SWS

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but IMHO you're right to be concerned about the engine. I recall a 6.2l I took apart back in either 2003 or '04; don't remember anymore. It had been sitting for about a year with a blown head gasket, and I removed the starboard cylinder head to find water sitting in the cylinder. Unfortunately, the cylinder walls were so badly rusted and pitted that the engine would have needed to be resleeved...the owner ended up junking the 6.2l and swapped in a 454 instead.

I sincerely hope the same thing didn't happen with your engine, particularly after all the work, sweat, and frustration that you've put into it... :(

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I talked to the head mechanic at my IH dealer some time ago about it and he told me so long as it wasn't exposed to the antifreeze in the oil repeatedly and for sustained periods of time, the bearings should be just fine. When I asked him about the cylinder rusting, he told me that antifreeze when mixed has enough oil in it that it also should not damage the cylinder. I've been trying to get time off from work for almost a year it seems to get this thing torn down but he just never lets me have any time off. Don't get me wrong, I need money too, but at the same time if my engine is shot now because my boss wouldn't give me the time off, then its like I just lost several thousand dollars for my job.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anti freeze wont rust a cylinder bore... Its the same metal as whats found in the water jackets. I'm sure the coolant has leaked down past the rings by now too... Your friend is blowing some rainbows up your back side about the bearings turning soft... Your not running an acid thru the oil so why does the coolant instantly ruin the bearings or make them soft.... Over many miles of running coolant will destroy the bearing... But a mile.... Nope... Just not happening.... They aren't made out of toast and your running milk over them....:angel::D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
LOL Gary you always make me feel better. I got snowed in today, :D look at that... So I took the time to tare into this thing. I've got two glow plugs that were soaked in what could be antifreeze or fuel, I'm not sure which. The bigger problem is its the two rear cylinders on the passenger side (5 & 7 I believe) which means I get to pull the motor to repair it this time. If thats the case and in fact the other head blew out I'm gonna throw these cylinder heads in the trash and get another set. I can't do anything but assume the failure of headgaskets on both banks of the engine must be related to shotty work done to those cylinder heads.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lots of antifreeze

Boy oh boy was there antifreeze in the oil of this thing. None of it was mixed with the oil, so I'm guessing it leaked into the crank case after I shut the engine off for the last time. Had there been that much water in the oil when I drove it back that day I'd think I would have popped the pistons off of the rods or something. I got a good gallon or 2 of pure clean antifreeze out of the oil drain when I opened it up today. I'm hoping that's not enough to have submerged any of the rod bearings in antifreeze, if they were I probably should be worried about the rod bearings being soft.

Any advice on what I should run in this thing while I do the compression test and such? Or is there any reason to compression test it at this point, just pull the motor and pull the heads and get it done?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Boy oh boy was there antifreeze in the oil of this thing. None of it was mixed with the oil, so I'm guessing it leaked into the crank case after I shut the engine off for the last time. Had there been that much water in the oil when I drove it back that day I'd think I would have popped the pistons off of the rods or something. I got a good gallon or 2 of pure clean antifreeze out of the oil drain when I opened it up today. I'm hoping that's not enough to have submerged any of the rod bearings in antifreeze, if they were I probably should be worried about the rod bearings being soft.

Any advice on what I should run in this thing while I do the compression test and such? Or is there any reason to compression test it at this point, just pull the motor and pull the heads and get it done?

Why do a compression test? its only gonna tell you what we already know, it needs head gaskets, get it doneLOL

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The Brown Truck Gets Gutted

Simple as that.
I gutted the brown truck today. I need my truck back this winter. So the engine I spent so much time and money building (twice) gets pulled and set aside, until some time in the next 10 years when I have a few extra bucks to hire a competent machine shop to do the required work properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dad still helps me as much as he can.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Something blew in it. I'm guessing at this point, but odds are the head cracked or the head gaskets let go from shotty machine work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online