Broke the brass elbow from the IP to the Fuel Return Line

Dino1191

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a 1985 F-250 4x4 with a 6.9L and have screwed up royally.

I replaced my IP and started having a leake from the connection from the brass elbow on the IP to the return line.

Being stronger than smart, I cranked on the connection and broke the elbow. I cannot find an elbow anywhere so had a thought.

Because the fuel return is low pressure and ends up going to rubber hoses at the end of the return line anyway, I was thinking of getting a brass 5/16" NPT nipple to put into the IP and a 3/8" nipple to connect to the return line, then connect the two with a higher gauge rubber fuel line and clamp both ends.

Before doing this, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you think this would be a good alternative or get any other ideas you might have.

Please let me know.

Thanks a million.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you use the steel fitting with the check ball in it too.

I did the same thing to my 6.9. Cut the steel line back and used rubber line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino1191

Reaction score
The pictures I sent is that there was.

Where would the steel fitting and check ball go? Into the hole on the IP?

Any way you could send a picture?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pics are really great. Thank you for showing clearly what happened. Yes.. your idea is fine and will work great. Many return systems off the top of the injection pump have been modified like you suggest. Most late 7.3 systems are all rubber hose too. My original return line off the pump was a short piece of 3/8 hose to the steel line running down the drivers side of the intake. I felt I wanted to change all that so I got the return fitting way back at number 8 cylinder to fit the larger return lines. That is the returns with the red clamps. they are 1/4 inch. the green is the smaller 3/16 line. they both work well but never try mixing them on the same system. that just will not work. Glad you were able to remove the broken piece too. that check valve in the pump has an o ring seal and it is a straight cut thread.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No they are not but they are in that steel check valve you broke the brass fitting off in. I hope that makes sense..

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steel piece sticking out of your IP in the picture above has 1/8 NPT threads in it. Do /NOT/ remove the steel piece and try to thread directly into the aluminum IP cover/housing.

Dino1191

Reaction score
Guys,

Thank you all for your help! I am happy to report that "Big Red" is alive and kickin without leaks.

I couldn't have done it without your help.

Below is a picture of the final for anyone else in this position. I think the only change I will make us to get a 1/8" NPT x 3/8" barb elbow instead of the straight price so the return line flow down all the time.

Thoughts?

You must be registered for see images

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want it back the way it was, we have those fittings at Conestoga Diesel Injection.

Dino1191

Reaction score
I bought my injection pump (Mini-Moose) from you all.

Ya'll have the brass elbow?

Can you tell me how much they are?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online