Brake issues

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
OK so the other day in my 97 my brake pedal while in park went all the way to the floor then the abs & the brake light came on.I let off&hit the brakes again & had brakes.Then today it did it again in park but I had to pump it about 10x before the lights went off & I had brakes again.It was only about 10 mind of driving I noticed the rotors were hot as a firecracker.Can't find any leaks.The fluid is full.Pads have some meat bUT will be changing.Wonderin if a stuck caliber could cause this or???Any ideas?Thanks

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Remove the lines, then plug the ports.
Can do one at a time also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I thought there was a way to pump the brakes and then do something and see what the reaction was?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
thanks jasper you've helped out a lot in the past,I'm new to this hydroboost,I got new pads &calipers yet to install but I think I have sticking calipers at least on the left .Anyways they work but get hot&from time to time goes out while in park.Now when you say plug the ports.I'm not sure which ports you are talking about.So I'm clueless on how to do this?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Let me look around to see if I can find a write up.
You plug the ports on the master. Or you can clamp off the rubber line. If you get a firm pedal, the master is fine.

It's pretty common to have a sticky caliper, or a bad rubber line. It'll fail internally, creating a check valve inside the line. So it won't release.

Last edited:

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
thanks I'm gonna replace the calipers & pads.If that turns out to be the issue will it release that chec valve...sorry I sound like an idiot

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes and no. Once you apply the brakes, it will do it again.
You can Jack it up and spin the tires to find the sticking one. Once you find it, open the bleeder to see if it releases. If it doesn't, it's likely just the caliper. If it does release, it's likely the rubber line.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
well it appears it's both of em.There barley spinning.I just went for a 3 mile ride &they were hot as hell!Got back let em cool & jacked em up & they barley spun.My other 2nd Gen has been waiting on tax time for me to get it back on the road & I've been stockpiling parts for both the trucks as both needs bodywork.But I've been stealing parts off the other truck for the 1 I'm driving,took the starter awhile back&took the new pads &calipers I put on it awhile back & plan on putting those on this truck soon as I'm done painting this guy's truck.Anyways I'll check the bleeder in about 30-40 mins&tell ya what happened &see what ya think if you don't mind. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online

No members online now.