Boost pressure in 6.5l

Discussion in '6.5L Diesels' started by dieselburner94, Sep 22, 2009.

1. dieselburner94

dieselburner94 Registered User

Just a quick question, i was wondering how much boost a stock 6.5l TD can really handle, considering the 21.5:1 compression? Ive heard of heath diesels pushing 22psi of boost with stock pistons, but yet ive also heard of others not being able to handle more than 15psi or so, then breaking crankshafts or destroying pistons when pushed too hard. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or info. Ive had mine hitting 15psi with no trailer or weight, and i dont want to do any damage if it builds any more when pulling hard.

2. nitrohogg

nitrohogg nitro junkie

ran mine fer years with about 15-16 PSI max......then the head gasket on the pass front started sucking antifreeze into the cylinder, and then out the front of the head!!!

3. nodd89

nodd89 Registered User

is that turbo timed or stock? whats the stock output supose to be

4. nitrohogg

nitrohogg nitro junkie

talking to me? I had a homemade wastegate controller on mine, stock is right around 7 psi

5. silverfoot

silverfoot Full Access Member

We feel that the boost can go that (15psi) high, if 3 conditions are met, install exhaust temp gauge, pre-turbo and stay below 1100'F, change head gaskets to at least .010'' over thickness ( compression ratio drop) and head studs. The other is buy a main bearing girdle to hold the bottom end together.

Otherwise just buy a pyro guage and keep WOP boost below 10psi and you should not have problems.....:thumbsup:

Have you re-flashed your computer ? Error messages ? Or are you mechanical IP ?

6. mahatma171

mahatma171 Registered User

You can run the stock pistons (as long as they are anodized top for best results) but you still gotta do something about the compression, either as silverfoot said by running thicker head gaskets, or by modifying the valve seats for lower compression. Otherwise, you are straight asking for trouble anywhere over 15 psi.

7. nitrohogg

nitrohogg nitro junkie

not trying to step on toe's but! you don't wanna change valve seat depth's! I'll dig up my book and post the info as soon as I can!