blowby, and lots of it!

tractorman86

Reaction score
so i know it is in the wrong forum but this is the best way i know how to get an answer it is an 04 ranger 2.3l 5speed 2wd 134k on the clock and serviced very regularly the last 60k with either K&N or WIX filters and moble1 oil. it's actually a friends, it has been a great truck untill tonight, she calls me when she gets out of work and there is an odd noise on top of the head. so she limps it home 60 freaking miles. idling i hear a kinda thumping noise in the top end so i pulled the oil cap off to see if i hear any extra valve noise. there is a ton of exhaust coming out of the crank case;Pissed;Pissed. what could it be other than bad rings (scorched cylinder) or a hole in a piston? anyone know anything about these newer engines.

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i can come come up with is bad rings. pull the oil pan and see what you find.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the spark plugs. The plug with oil and/or damage is where the problem is. Todays engines seem to have alot or crank case pressure so removing the cap and seeing alot of exhaust is not the same as older pre-electronic controlled engines. If the engine is missing and the thumping is up high it could have bent or sucked a valve and jammed it back in a guide. the rocker would flop around causing noise. If the rocker came loose then it would also run crappy and the spark plug would be fine. A hole in a piston would drench the plug in oil and massive smoke out the tail pipe. With the engine running use a broom handle to isolate the noise by safely touching areas of the engine and putting your ear close to the wood where your hands hold the broom.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
How's the coolant level?
The 2300 is an overhead cam engine and they were good at cracking the heads around the valve seats.

2 things, either as said a valve dropped, or there was enough coolant that entere the cylinder and it hydrolocked a cylinder.

Those motors either go forever or 100k on the clock and their done.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 86' with the older version of that motor that went 268K and was still running strong when they toted it off to the junkyard due to body and frame cancer. It lived it's whole life with only infrequent oil changes (I went 10K on an oil change once. :eek:), a fresh timing belt every 50K, and a tune up every 100K. Those are great motors. Although I fear they are probably too complicated for their own good now. I have to move this thread to the appropriate forum, but I'll leave a redirect. You've got everyone's attention now.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i really apreciate all the help guys. well the water level is good, it runs pretty good(its been a little while since i drove it till today but it doesn't seem to be low on power or anything), and no smoke out the tail pipe. the only symptom is a ton of air in the crankcase and a bit of noise from the top of the motor.:dunno i'm so freaking confused... i'm going to get a scanner on it sometime today.:puke:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the broom trick and isolate the noise to figure out what it is caused by.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the EGR .it's probably all carboned up or the hose has a hole in it or it's not connected . How is the vacuum, pull a vacuum tube off, see if the engine run's ruff then.

tractorman86

Reaction score
so i messed with it last night and a friend of mine told me that it was normal for these engines, they are a pressurised crankcase pcv system. i trust him ok so my other friend looked at a ranger at his work about the same year and build and in known good shape it does the same thing. i guess i almost had a heart attack for no reason.:rolleyes:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No smoke out the exhaust... can you feel steady pressure out the exhaust or does it feel/sound strained or have any funny smells?

A clogged cat can manifest itself in some strange ways sometimes. Usually just loss of power, but sometimes it'll cause some localized heating and create some strange noises.

tractorman86

Reaction score
nope all is well, i got on a ranger forum and asked, it just seems to be the way these engines run but i think i am going to do cats exhaust and intake on that thing soon anyway.:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online