block heater placebo.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here is how this goes, I am out tooling around with the truck a couple night ago when I noticed that my block heater plug was hanging down under the truck a little to far than I wanted so I clipped the zip ties that where holding it to the frame and went to move it when I discovered that the plug was never connected to anything. It was just hang there in between the radiator and the grill, at this point I am laughing mostly at my self because I have been plugging my truck in for two years and was sure it started much better when plugged in, I guess it was my belief that kept her warm. So now that where over the stupidity the wire I pulled from the truck has the plug one end and a orange three prong female connecter on the other where should this plug in?, and thanks fo hangin in there.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Behind and above the starter.
Im not laughing at you, well maybe a little.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I hope you weren't bragging about your electric bill not going up when you plugged it in before LOL not that I noticed much difference when I do anyway.

Don't feel to bad, I thought mine didn't make much difference for years until I finally checked it and realized my block heater didn't work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you weren't bragging about your electric bill not going up when you plugged it in before LOL not that I noticed much difference when I do anyway.

Don't feel to bad, I thought mine didn't make much difference for years until I finally checked it and realized my block heater didn't work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
What's the best way to check if its working i should before i go fooling my self again.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to check if its working i should before i go fooling my self again.
Get someone to watch your electric meter on the house when you plug it in. It does draw a noticeable amount of current.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connect the plug to the block heater and use a meter to check continuity between the 2 prongs on the end that the extension cord plugs in to.

If there is no continuity remove the cord and check it for damage. I have had to repair my cord before.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug it in in the morning and after a couple hours feel if the radiator is warmer than last checked, mine is noticeably warmer after a couple hours plugged in. Or leave it plugged in overnight and the engine/radiator will be pretty warm in the morning. If your in a milder climate anyway I'm sure things are different in 0 degree temps lol it's been down to about 15 here and my radiator was warm in the morning plugged in over night

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I remember mine on my idi would actually register on the temp gauge just a tiny bit after being plugged in for several hours.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright here is how this goes, I am out tooling around with the truck a couple night ago when I noticed that my block heater plug was hanging down under the truck a little to far than I wanted so I clipped the zip ties that where holding it to the frame and went to move it when I discovered that the plug was never connected to anything. It was just hang there in between the radiator and the grill, at this point I am laughing mostly at my self because I have been plugging my truck in for two years and was sure it started much better when plugged in, I guess it was my belief that kept her warm. So now that where over the stupidity the wire I pulled from the truck has the plug one end and a orange three prong female connecter on the other where should this plug in?, and thanks fo hangin in there.

it just goes to show ya,that these trucks start easy and you might as well keep the money,rather than sending out in your electric bill.it all adds up.iv never spent a penny per-warming either of my trucks.inside a mile down the road,im sure it would be at where it would be,had i shelled out the $ in the electric bill anyway.
so to answer your question;
since it's been 2 years unplugged and worked fine,why start paying money to pre-warm it now? :santa:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since new (1988) I may have used my block heater maybe three dozen times. I had it on a Timer to run only for two hours before I exited the house...those were the times when I had to leave for work a 3:30 am and during the most frigid winter mornings...it really made a nice difference,effortless start and heat too!
I sucked when it stopped working and I had to remove the starter to replace it...and got a face full of Antifreeze. (my block drains have never been removed and will NOT come out)
I haven't used it much since, but I'm betting that O-ring is about to leak (why not it's winter and stuff breaks when it's cold)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it just goes to show ya,that these trucks start easy and you might as well keep the money,rather than sending out in your electric bill.it all adds up.iv never spent a penny per-warming either of my trucks.inside a mile down the road,im sure it would be at where it would be,had i shelled out the $ in the electric bill anyway.
so to answer your question;
since it's been 2 years unplugged and worked fine,why start paying money to pre-warm it now? :santa:

Once it gets below about 5°, my truck isn't likely to start without being plugged in. Once it gets below 0°, she just plain won't start without being plugged in. Plugging it in for couple of hours before I leave for work when the temp is below 20° just makes the truck so much happier.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between having no working glow plugs last year and a totally functional system this year, I can for sure say that the block heaters aren't much use except for extreme temps. My truck starts perfectly until we're at less then 0* Fahrenheit. Then it helps, but you also have to leave it on for over three hours in those temps for it to really warm the thing up enough to matter. And from what I remembered last year, if your glow plug system isn't working you pretty much have to leave it on for that long to get your truck to start in anything less then 32* Fahrenheit.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody is talking just about it being able to start at low temps. It's true, my van will start consistantly after 1 GP cycle after sitting out in temps below 0*f all day/night.

Question is, are there benefits to using the block heater at this temps besides starting? Quicker heat in the cab? Fuel savings for those that idle prior to driving? Less thermal shock for engine components? Less wear at startup due to oil flowing better? Warmer coolant heating the trans fluid faster as it passes through the radiator? Less wear on starting components since it turns over easier?

For me, i put my block heater on a timer to kick on 3 hours prior to leaving in the morning when the temps get into the 20's. Not because it won't start lower then that, but because in my mind it helps reduce stress on components. With the timer i have never noticed a differance in my electric bill.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having some warmth below zero i still start its just unpleasant. i am going to try to hook every thing up will see how it goes if not well looks like ill stick to the sugar pills:D.