Bleeding fuel lines - how long?

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Like the title says - how long should it take to bleed an entirely empty fuel system?

94 7.3 na. stock fuel pump, no mods.

I started by putting the fuel intake for the low pressure pump in a pail of fuel. Once we got everything fired up on that (didn't take too long - 5-6 cranks, after I remembered to open the throttle to full LOL )

Then I connected the fuel lines from the tanks back up, and I've cranked on it at least a dozen times (10 secs on, 2 mins off, check the starter for heat), and I've gotten it to puff once. It seems really close, but I'm just not sure.

Should I grab some ether to help it along?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
No either!!

Crack all your injection lines loose at the injectors and crank it like that for a bit. Then go back and tighten all the steel lines and give it a go. It should fire up.

Make sure you have power to the FSS (fuel shut off) at the injection pump. Thats the electrical spade right on top of it.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
when you draw that much air from the fuel tank, lines and ftsv you are gonna need to crack the lines open and hold the throttle wide open as you crank till you see fuel at the injectors.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
No either!!

Crack all your injection lines loose at the injectors and crank it like that for a bit. Then go back and tighten all the steel lines and give it a go. It should fire up.

Make sure you have power to the FSS (fuel shut off) at the injection pump. Thats the electrical spade right on top of it.

when you draw that much air from the fuel tank, lines and ftsv you are gonna need to crack the lines open and hold the throttle wide open as you crank till you see fuel at the injectors.

Done both. Last night, when I quit, I had been bleeding air for almost 4 hours :puke:. I DID have it running. First on the pail of fuel, and then (for a moment) on the lines. I cracked all the injector lines, and got fuel from 6 or 7 of them (on the stock fuel lines). I'm still getting mostly air from the schrader valve though.:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure it'll fire up today.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tank you drawing from.... If its down around 1/4 tank you probably are pulling air. These fuel tank pickups break off and we can't pull the last 1/4 tank of fuel... So when we run too low and "feel" that surge of power just before the engine stops we usually know were out of fuel. Then a fillup takes around 12 gallons proving this 1/4 tank issue of fuel we can'y use. Your problem really sounds like your sucking up lots of air. The entire fuel line from the tank to the injection pump volume can't be much more than just under one quart...

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tank you drawing from.... If its down around 1/4 tank you probably are pulling air. These fuel tank pickups break off and we can't pull the last 1/4 tank of fuel... So when we run too low and "feel" that surge of power just before the engine stops we usually know were out of fuel. Then a fillup takes around 12 gallons proving this 1/4 tank issue of fuel we can'y use. Your problem really sounds like your sucking up lots of air. The entire fuel line from the tank to the injection pump volume can't be much more than just under one quart...

10 gallons in each tank - but I was parked on an uphill slope -cuss. I rolled it to level and will try again :rolleyes: The pickups are good though - doublechecked those when I put the tanks in.

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are your return lines / injector caps / o-rings?

mine was a pain to start every time, and when ir ran shut off within 10-15 seconds. i had air intrusion from some bad o-rings inside the return caps.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Thy're all new. Once I rebled the injector lines on level ground, It fired off in 5 10 second cranks (4th and 5th with low plugs on). Ran kinda rough, but I held it at about 900-1k rpms, and it stayed running long enough to get it in the garage so I can wire up the fuel tanks and under body wiring. I found out I need to replace the front main though - I should've went with the updated seal from the start :rolleyes:

It does run though! ;Sweet

Sounds kinda nasty with no intake or exhaust though - I forgot how loud these mechanical engines are :love:

Anyone have the updated front and rear main seal part numbers handy :dunno? I know they're on here - I just have to find them :angel:

edit: found the rear. It's F2TZ-6701-A. Now for the front..

front is :dunno

I can locate it on the fordpartsonline website, and it brings up 6700. Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me the rest of it. I'll verify tomorrow morning that it's the updated seal before I order it.

edit again:!

found it!
it's e3tz-6700-a. Again, I'll verify that it's an updated seal before I order it.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need a speedi sleeve for the front seal.. Otherwise the new seal will get ruined in the cut groove in the damnper...