Black grease in brake drum.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
To muddy the water a little bit more here, it's also possible that someone swapped in a Dana 80 from a newer vehicle.

It's possible I suppose but seems less likely? Reason being... the spring and shock mounting points might be different on a newer generation E350 (92+). Unless Ford kept that exactly the same, or someone relocated the mounts on the axle tubes to make the D80 fit.

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Well according to the door tag the axle code is 33, which my owner's manual helpfully lists as "Dana."

Cubey the Ford ID link you sent says it's a Dana 61, which apparently is a 60 modified slightly for a higher gear ratio. It's got "60-ISU" (I thought it was 80 before, sorry for confusion) embossed on the front of the diff, which other internet people seem to think also indicates a 61, others say nope that's a 60.

Also my axle is 3.5" diameter, which squares with the specs for the 61 (60 used a 3.125" rear axle, 70 used a 4"). So my bet right now is that it's probably a 61, possibly a 60, definitely not an 80.

Yes it is a SRW, and for those keeping track it is indeed free floating.

So now the question is...does it make any difference in the bearings/seals or will they be the same between a 60 and 61?

Love this forum, thanks everyone

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cubey the Ford ID link you sent says it's a Dana 61, which apparently is a 60 modified slightly for a higher gear ratio. It's got "60-ISU" (I thought it was 80 before, sorry for confusion) embossed on the front of the diff, which other internet people seem to think also indicates a 61, others say nope that's a 60.

From what I'm seeing, the 61/71 was a 70s thing with extra high gear ratios to help with fuel economy during the oil crisis. I had a 78 Dodge B300 with D60 3.55 gears though so even by then they had abandoned it on 1 ton vans.
https://www.drivetrainshop.com/Dana_61_s/90.htm

You most likely have a Dana 60 with 3.55 or 4.10 gears.

Do you still have the tag like this attached by the 2 of diff cover bolts on the RH (passenger) side of the cover? If so, it'll tell you the ratio. If you look close, mine says "4.10" on the upper line to the left of the upside down triangle. You might have to use a wire brush to clean up to see it, like I did on mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: Adding this. It could be a 3.54 or a 3.45? odd. I think the first line is yours, to be honest. (due to the 6.34M capacity listed)

Source: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/axle-ratios.html

Mine is so much easier... code 52 was only one thing:

Last edited:

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Got it! It is indeed a 3.54. I swear I looked for that tag before and couldn't find it. And then you mentioned it and there it was...covered in ancient road gunk but there it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle