Big Trip Planned

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am planning on taking the longest trip I ever have in my truck from my home in Seattle Wa to my school in Santa Barbra Ca and I am just wondering what are some things that I should do to it before I go. Also what tools should I bring just in case something happens? I really hope I do not have to post on the "Diesel Down" thread somewhere in Oregon.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always bring a full set of hand tools with me:
1. Socket set(1/4-1/2, metric and SAE)
2. Set of basic wrenches.
3. Set of screwdrivers
4. Pliers, *****, vice grips
5. Multimeter(digital voltage/ohm meter).
6. LED Flashlight, something decent.
(I like Harbor Freight tools for all this. Cheap and they definitely do the job. Still haven't broken any sockets or wrenches of theirs).

In your case, I'd probably also bring:
1. Gallon or two of antifreeze, in case of leaks or catastrophic failure.
2. Gallon of oil for same reason.
3. If you are at all worried about your fuel tanks, bring a jerry can of fuel.
4. A few ratchet-straps(you never know when you might need them)
5. Zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape and JB weld.
6. Larger piece of cardboard, folded as needed. So you have something to lay under the truck.
7. Rolls of paper towels.

If you make sure to plan around bringing a good set of emergency gear, you probably won't need it. If you /don't/ bring the gear, well... Murphy loves that.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best advice is to prepare as best you can mechanically, and then plan for more than enough time to get to your destination. Be patient and pay attention to your speed and rpm's, fuel mileage is a great measurement of how "happy" your truck is on the freeway. Take your time, enjoy the journey, and take it easy on your rig and it should take care of you.

Good luck and take lots of pictures.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I would jack it up and check out wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods and breaks for sure

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am planning on taking the longest trip I ever have in my truck from my home in Seattle Wa to my school in Santa Barbra Ca and I am just wondering what are some things that I should do to it before I go. Also what tools should I bring just in case something happens? I really hope I do not have to post on the "Diesel Down" thread somewhere in Oregon.
along with all the goodies, print out the member listing page between WA to sokal. I have 100% faith in my truck and all it gets is pretty routine maintenance. it's when I am going to areas where there isn't anything happening off the interstate, then I will give the truck some more love before I hit the road. just be grateful Int 5 doesn't look like this road somewhere in TX.
You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to college thee in Arizona. Scared the %$#*& out of me when I first drove in in 1967. I made it and never had a problem driving to nowhere.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just be grateful Int 5 doesn't look like this road somewhere in TX.

That looks like the back road 286 from Corpus to Chapman Ranch then to TX 77 at Bishop TX. I was going to Harlingen and the son said take the back way short cut, pulling a 35 ft 5er, holy chit.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You headed to UCSB or Westmont? My wife went to Westmont and I had friends at both. Spent a lot of time in SB. Lots of things to do and great food. Pricey though. What route are you taking down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
I actually go to a boarding high school just over the pass from Santa Barbra. I will most likely be taking i5 the whole way.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh cool. Off the 154? What way are you going to cut across from the 5? If you take the 46 over I live right there.

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
I was going to cut across the 41 so I don't have to work my way back from the 46, and yes my school is just off the 154

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online