Better quality carrier bearing?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Got a bad carrier bearing to replace. Seems like I did this just under a year ago when I did ujoints on both shafts. Ordered a National brand online with discount from Advance and will pick up shortly, but I suspect that's what I used last time. RockAuto shows National, SKF, Timken, which I think are all reputable brands but they're all priced about the same around $20-$25 so not sure there's any appreciable difference. Is there a better quality carrier bearing available or am I looking at having a new shaft made with larger everything?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer's are great. Unfortunately the last time I did the carrier on my personal truck I couldn't find a Spicer for my driveline so I ordered a Timken on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0R6N8SA242R4QE2JWTDM The timken is a good looking bearing and I have used many of their bearings and seals without issue. I installed an Anchor brand from O'Reilly's on my friends truck because it was all we could get on a Sunday & he was stranded-not an impressive looking bearing, I told him to order a Timken and keep it in the truck just in case. It's in his tool box ready for the Anchor to fail, so far the Anchor is working out- go figure?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Turns out this premature failure at under a year was my fault. Installed it with the rubber bit backwards, so did it was wide open at the front rather than having the rubber bit up close to the slinger or shield. Haven't done anything off road with the truck, but it gets snow, and for maybe 6 mos I was running with just a down pipe after my old exhaust broke off on the highway, lots of soot underneath from that. Anyhow, packed with grease against the slinger and grease under the cap on rear. Probably could use a new slinger but it's good enough for a Sunday afternoon. Now to replace ujoints, the front and middle have tight spots but fortunately I have joints on the shelf.

You must be registered for see images attach

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out this premature failure at under a year was my fault. Installed it with the rubber bit backwards, so did it was wide open at the front rather than having the rubber bit up close to the slinger or shield. Haven't done anything off road with the truck, but it gets snow, and for maybe 6 mos I was running with just a down pipe after my old exhaust broke off on the highway, lots of soot underneath from that. Anyhow, packed with grease against the slinger and grease under the cap on rear. Probably could use a new slinger but it's good enough for a Sunday afternoon. Now to replace ujoints, the front and middle have tight spots but fortunately I have joints on the shelf.

HA! looks like the cleaning crew at your shop is about as effective as the bum who cleans mine.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used timken and spicer for years and only had one bearing related failure and that was due to a wickedly missed downshift by one of the drivers. Can't speak to their "consumer" level products but I assume they'd be about the same. Just thinking about that three piece drive shaft makes

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
outside of enviromental issues killing center support bearings, drive line imbalance and bad drive line angles are major reasons for center support failures.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One distinct issue I am seeing on bearings I hqve been replacing is a fundamental lack of grease....these sealed bearings have very little grease in them and with no provision to add more failure is immememt.

If it was me I would carefully pry up seal...inspect for lube...add in some hy quality synthetic grease then reseal.....

I offer this image of a brand new bearing....it has seals on each side...the one we remove as it gets lubed via grease gun.

That is how much grease came in 2 ide tical bearings.

I am appauled at this.

now this is an implememt bearing high speed mind you...but wow:dunno shaft in middle bout 1.w5 to 1.5 inches diam..3.75 inches overall diameter...oh ya..its double row ball bearing too.

If thats how a carrier bearing comes...***

JM7.3CW

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had never though t of lack of grease on assembly, that's pretty bad quality control.
I recently went back to a Hino truck dealer after 2 yrs away in fleet maintenance and found a pretty cool thing , a 2015 Hino cabover with greasable hanger bearing. wow surprised me, had not seen them in previous models. its only a smaller truck but seems like a really good idea. have replaced a lot of hanger bearing last few years in cubevans and they don't seem to last anymore.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One distinct issue I am seeing on bearings I hqve been replacing is a fundamental lack of grease....these sealed bearings have very little grease in them and with no provision to add more failure is immememt.

If it was me I would carefully pry up seal...inspect for lube...add in some hy quality synthetic grease then reseal.....

I offer this image of a brand new bearing....it has seals on each side...the one we remove as it gets lubed via grease gun.

That is how much grease came in 2 ide tical bearings.

I am appauled at this.

now this is an implememt bearing high speed mind you...but wow:dunno shaft in middle bout 1.w5 to 1.5 inches diam..3.75 inches overall diameter...oh ya..its double row ball bearing too.

If thats how a carrier bearing comes...***

JM7.3CW

I'm finding the same thing with "sealed" wheel bearings for my dirt bikes. One manufacturer is even sending out a tube of grease with them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are in the business of selling bearings so why wouldn't they want a MTBF just longer than the warranty period? I know I've seen this with sealed wheel bearings. It's pretty sad.