Benefit of an RDT vs. CDR

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to the RDT? I have so much vapor coming out of the RDT that it comes up thru the stake pockets in the bed & looks like 4 little exhaust stacks. I'm really tired of people asking "is your truck on fire?" & would like to put the CDR back on. Just wanted to know what the down side to doing that might be.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only thing I can think of is if your blowby is really bad, you could have a runaway. only seen it once tho. The famous truck pull video wasn't it either.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hey Scott, there is that thread I think you posted on that one too and we all discussed this matter. I remember a few came up with this valve that you connect to the exhaust, it only creates a vacuum and the vapors only go out of the crankcase. I want to put one on mine since I'm also tired of people looking at my front end at every stop, Not tired of them at least they care. It was like $15 for this valve and there is even pics.

Now for the users:
How are this valves performing now?

Thank you.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
towcat said:
only thing I can think of is if your blowby is really bad, you could have a runaway. only seen it once tho. The famous truck pull video wasn't it either.

What do you mean by runaway? Turbo keeps spooling & can't stop the truck?

EZ, I think the last thread I started about this topic was asking how to reduce the smoke. I just want to know if there is a downside to putting the CDR back on. I'm gonna plumb it into my homemade intake. I just can't take the vapor anymore.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think he means that if enough oil gets through the CDR, it will have enough fuel to run on (engine oil) and you get an engine you can't shut down without choking the air flow.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a diesel has an outside source of fuel, it will run as fast as there is fuel to run it, and it will not shut off with the key. Diesels in coal mines etc must be equipped with a throttle, or else they can overspeed and destroy the engine just running on coal dust.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I once saw a grader hit a 4 inch gas line and get a mouth full of natural gas before the operator got it shut down. Talk about some wild noises and a machine out of control as he tried to get it shut down. That was my first and only experience with what an alternative source of fuel can do for a diesel! :)

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I put mine in the exhaust! I put all the fittings in a straight piece of exhaust pipe that I put in where the muffler was... So now it's straight piped ! ;Sweet I would have to fab up something to put the CDR back on, the piece I got with my used Sidewinder kit.... puts the CDR where my clutch master cyl is :confused: Nobody questions a little smoke coming out of your exhaust. More noticeable at night looking in your mirror with headlights shinning on it. Not to bad during the day.

Mike :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downside of the CDR is the reason those of us run an RDT. Let me count the ways....

No oil in the intake anymore (those with turbo's can actually diagnose a leaking seal if they have one).

Intake air is pure - more oxygen to burn fuel.

No CDR valve to clean or maintain.

EGT's lower due to lack of oil burn.

Head gaskets last longer because back two cylinders are not burning hotter than the other 6.

Some report reduced oil consumption.

Reduced chance of runaway (as was mentioned).

Reduced chance of oil leakage due to high crankcase presure if CDR fails closed.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While on the topic...what is the proper way to clean a CDR? Flush it with brake-cleaner or the like?

Ryan

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
reklund said:
While on the topic...what is the proper way to clean a CDR? Flush it with brake-cleaner or the like?

Ryan

I wouldn't use anything that harsh. There is rubber in there. I used stoddard solvent. I have seen some say gas, but I am not sure about the rubber being gas proof. Since it is pretty constantly subjected to oil, I would say it would be ok. I just put mine in the parts wash tank and run solvent through it. I just replaced mine with a new one and am still not real happy with the results though. Still getting a little oil, nothing like before however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08