Before I screw this up

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pyrometer-0-1...e-with-K-thermocouple-included-/261689408975?

I got this egt gauge for dads idi. Now that it's been shifted to his full time work truck it's going to be towing all of the time. It's been over a year since I installed mine, I know I drilled and tapped it on the drivers side exhaust manifold towards the rear cylinder and things worked nice. No turbo so I didn't have to worry about the metal flakes.

Now I can't remember what size drill but I used and what tap I used. The probe threads are 1/8npt and I want to say I used a 1/8-27 tap?.. can't remember and just want to verify before I butcher his truck this weekend. I should probably get him a trans temp gauge since his truck is an auto but I don't even like to look at automatic transmissions let alone mess with them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/8 npt is an R drill. R is 0.339". It's between 11/32 (0.343) and 21/64 (0.328"). If you don't have a set of letter drills I'd go the smaller size since I'm sure you will be hand drilling and it's not very thick.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I have the smaller bit. Is it considerably better one way or the other to tap in from the bottom or the top of the manifold for the probe? I did bottom before but it seems opinions vary there..

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say bottom, the chips from drilling are more likely to stay out of the manifold...(and into your eyes LOL)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always dab some bearing grease on the drill bit. It'll help catch metal shavings from dropping down into the exhaust manifold.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drilled my 6.0 from the bottom of the manifold, between 3 and 5, and had no chips get into the turbo. Go slow and you will be OK. I vacuumed out the drilled hole as best as I could.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since there's no turbo, the chips are not going to bother. To me it seems like it would be easier to drill from the top. Maybe not. At least the chips would not be dropping in your face. When I do something like this, I always seem to have a hot one find bare skin too.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost feel like I drilled mine directly under the last cylinder when I did mine on my truck. It's not at the house or I'd go look. Is there a reason to drill it between cylinders on the manifold? I feel like the probe is so long it might not go in the whole way with room to thread but maybe I'm just not thinking straight..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put mine on the top inbetween 6&8, but the engine was on a stand.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine close to 8 on the bottom 6 and 8 fire right after another makes a hotter temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drilled mine there except from the bottom since my engine was in the truck.

Dad is just nervous about drilling the manifold now and is trying to convince me we should drill and tap the exhaust right by where it's bolting to the manifold since it's still super close and if we "somehow mess it up" it's less of a chore..

Would that be a giant loss in accuracy or should I keep arguing for the manifold this Saturday.. which is where I'm leaning.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to all of this trouble to install it and it doesn't work. Drilled and tapped the manifold and wired the gauge up triple checked the wiring and I can't get it to move one single degree. So frustrated.