Bar B Que @ Towcats 03-04-12

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I talked with my son in law yesterday about his trip home from my place. He lives about 45 miles from me in fontucky just north of gettawanda....:eek::angel: They actually live on the 16th green of the serria lakes golf course community in a really nice home. anyway as Phill left my home and got on the road over a hill called colima road he noticed all the street lites were turned sideways on the stands... Turns out some 340 ton rock was being moved 107 miles and it went thru our city about 1/2 miles from my home. Once he got up on the pass the traffic was standstill. So he turned around and tried to drive back down the pas but the chp stopped him from doing so. The rock guides were working both sides of the roads because the "trailer" was something like 260 ft long and needed three lanes to handle any turns. Poor Phill didn't get home till after 3 am after leaving my place at 12:40am.... Still had to go to work at 6am..... If you want to see this big rock just goggle big rock move.. Its still on its 11 day trip and about 15 miles south on me at this time. So that was the end of a great trip for the grillmaster...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow!! Any idea why said boulder was being moved? I'm guessing it wasn't being done by Wile E. Coyote LOL ...shame that he got home so late, especially with having to work so early the next morning :shocked: Please pass on my thanks for everything he did...it's a shame I didn't have a chance to taste any of it. Maybe next time... :angel:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim,

That is hilarious...... Wile E Coyote moving a big rock..... what could go wrong with that.....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Holy cow!! Any idea why said boulder was being moved? I'm guessing it wasn't being done by Wile E. Coyote LOL ...shame that he got home so late, especially with having to work so early the next morning :shocked: Please pass on my thanks for everything he did...it's a shame I didn't have a chance to taste any of it. Maybe next time... :angel:

The rock is part of an art installation in LA. It is going to be called "levitated mass" I have seen pictures of the rig moving it. Looks like a 3 story house in a cradle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
During the gtg as things happen talking like we do a question came up that nobody felt they had an answer to. The question was what was the suburban called before it was a suburban. Was it a carryall or what... Those of us in the discussion just couldn't remember...

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm not really sure there was a true prior version/name for the Suburban. The best I can find is "station wagon". The Suburban name is certainly older than I thought.

Suburban History

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always seen the Chevrolet Suburban called a suburban.... this was even back to the 50's I think, when it I remember a 2 door, much like the smaller "Panel Van" that I believe was on a "car" chassis. It reminded me of the older Cherokee Chief and Wagoneer from Jeep. The Full Sized one from the 70's not the ones now

It and the IH Travelall was the large fullsize, and the Scout was smaller. The Travelall was 4 door, and the Scout was 2 door.

Ford and Dodge did not have a full sized counterpart, all they had was the Bronco and Ramcharger, which was the Scout/Blazer 2 door sized.... Dodge never produced a Full Sized "SUV" and Fords was the Excursion starting in 2000 (After they killed off the Bronco)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, the first generation (starting 1935) was called carryall-suburban for both Chevy and GMC. GM dropped the carryall part of the name at some undetermined date, probably around 1937.

One interesting Chevy Suburban (60-66 model) was a 15-passenger conversion done by Stageway of Fort Smith, Ark. These modified Suburbans had three doors on the right, had 171" wheelbase, was 273" long, and weighed 6,300 lbs. You think parking or maneuvering your CC is tough?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One interesting Chevy Suburban (60-66 model) was a 15-passenger conversion done by Stageway of Fort Smith, Ark. These modified Suburbans had three doors on the right, had 171" wheelbase, was 273" long, and weighed 6,300 lbs. You think parking or maneuvering your CC is tough?
Compared to a couple of the vehicles we have at work, a CC dualie handles like a compact car LOL

I've seen a couple of IH Travelalls done in a similar manner...I imagine one of those would handle about like a 10-pax stretch, and my guess is the Suburbans are similar. Still quite the PITA :shocked: