automatic reliability?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Been wantin a 12 valve for a while and found one, price is decent and milage is ok (~150k). But it has an auto in it. I am no stranger to cummins as my bro has owned three 12 valves, I have wrenched on a few 24 valves, and my grandpa has owned about 5 12 valves. out of all of those three of the 12 valves and 1 of the 24 valves have been autos and we have had royal hell with them. The 12 valves would always drop od or have a bad tps which burnt the torque converter up in one of them. Are these common problems for the automatics or have we just had some strange beasts. I could swap a standard into it but that would add up to a little more cash than I would wanna spend

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Dodge automatics.... RUN don't walk.... When I was looking for my first Cummins I researched and dug through tons of data... what I found was the auto they strapped behind the 12v was rated for less hp and tq than the engine produced.... can we say planned failure.... either swap it for a manual or plan on doing a rebuild on the tranny.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed unless i was using it for putting around town or for a daily leaving it stock which what is the fun in that lol, It would have to be a pretty good price to make up for that tranny build!

-Jordan-

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
awesome thanks guys I actually went ahead and passed on the truck and bought a horse trailer, but now my gf the 99 12v that I have been trying to buy from her grandma for at least 4 months given to her. Only one condition to her getting it and that is that I leave it stock(exhaust mods ok but no injectors, fuel pins or anything else). That absolutely SUCKS

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Yes but the only reason I have ever wanted a cummins was to rod it around but you are right about it lasting eons, I know a guy down the road from my parents that has a 1st gen cummins with 580,000. You couldnt hardly hold it on the road because the front end was so shot and it already had two complete front end rebuilds at 200k and 400k

jbuck

Reaction score
Change the fluid to a good Synthetic like Amsoil and keep the bands adjusted. This is a very simple process, two bolts with lock nuts, one for the front band and one for the rear. Rear requires you drop the pan and adjust. Losen lock nut tighten to specific torque, (sorry can't rember of top of my head) and secure lock nut. Heat kills the tranny. Free 12 valve, man be happy and enjoy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online