Auto Tranny Prob

BigRedBrother

Reaction score
I have a 1992 dodge W250 with an auto. I put on a modified fuel pin and an HX35 turbo and have ran into a slight problem with the tranny slipping when a get on it. I was hoping i could get some help with this. Im looking at getting a new converter. Any ideas on what is best would be greatly appreciated Im considering a Goerend.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Depending on the mileage on the trans, it may be time to freshen it up. When does it do it? Does it slip in all gears non convertor lockup and when it locks up? Is the shift quality still good?
The weakest link has always been the trans in any of the pickups, and when you start putting more power to them, those problems get exposed.
Go to www.allpar.com and look up their transmission section; it's Mopar only and they address the problems with all the Chrysler transes.
The other thing to do before you drop the transmission is to run some Auto Rx through it (www.autorx.com). This product cleans slowly, refreshes the seals, unsticks solenoids and gets everything working right again without being harsh like the solvent style cleaners that you get at the auto parts store. Won't harm anything. Follow the instructions exactly, you won't regret it.
If you are still going to get a convertor, get a shift kit also.

BigRedBrother

Reaction score
the mileage is 135k. its only slips in first gear from a standstill. shift quality is good threw all gears. i did have problems with it leaking fluid before so im sure it could use some tlc im probably going to get a new valve body as well. fact is a need to make this thing bulletproof cause more performance is on its way

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
In that case, grab another transmission and build it up right. In the meantime, you can keep the one you have going with what I've suggested to you. Using the Auto Rx, doing a T Tec flush and doing the shift kit will buy some time while you put the killer trans together. You probably don't need a valvebody, the Auto Rx will clean it out and make it run right. It also stops internal leaks.
Use a genuine Mopar filter on the trans, as the store bought ones have a tendency to be off. Fit right, but don't flow right.

bigred cummins

Grenade Inspector
Reaction score
Hey. It was probably cause your tranny was so low on fluid from leaking it all out in the driveway lol.;p just kidding. But seriously.

shorerider00

Reaction score
I have 360 000km on mine with an hx35, injectors and my pump turned up with fuel pin. Mine never slips, we had a 1st gen with 380 horse and his tranny holds up fine. Maybe yours is packing it in.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The A518 is basically the same as a 46RH in the 2nd Gen trucks. You can get a rebuild kit for the trannie and upgrade the torque converter form any of the normal vendors such as SunCoast, ATS, etc. If you're going to keep adding power go for a built trannie so you only have to do it once.