AUTO RX users, a few questions...............

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took the bait, and bought some snake oil to try and see if I can revive my tired IDI. My problems are low compression, heavy oil consumption, blowby, and smoking. The truck runs well otherwise, just trying to see if I can buy some time before a re-build or Cummins swap. I've seen several guys have had good success with auto rx and had a couple of questions for you guys.

1. I bought 2 bottles of Auto Rx and 3 gallons of Ford Diesel Oil to do my cleaning cycle. Will the Ford oil work well, or do I need to get something different?

2. Im burning about 1-1.5 quarts of oil a week, so at that rate the Auto rx will be burned up as well since its mixed in the oil. Do I need to add additional auto rx periodically when topping up the oil, or just top it up with straight oil?

3.Realistically, does anyone think any results will be seen? Ive never driven another factory turbo IDI before other than mine, so I have nothing to compare my truck to in terms of how well it runs per-say. I'm just thinking if it runs as well as I "think" it does, then the rings might be the problem, and the rest of the engine can be saved hopefully. Ive read several reviews of Auto RX and ive seen alot of people say it works well on freeing stuck rings, anyone have good luck with that?

4. Lastly, the LAST thing Auto Rx is gonna advertise is potential side effects from using their products. Anyone know of any POSSIBLE side effects I should be on the lookout for?

Any and all input is appreciated fellas!

Matt

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think it is a good product. It does like to find oil leaks so if a seal is worn already, it will start leaking after a treatment with auto RX at least that was My experience on some of the vehicles I used it on which where several.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm going to try some Motul double ester oil when I can, the ester is supposed to swell your seals, but perhaps that takes time.

wmoguy

Reaction score
So I took the bait, and bought some snake oil to try and see if I can revive my tired IDI. My problems are low compression, heavy oil consumption, blowby, and smoking. The truck runs well otherwise, just trying to see if I can buy some time before a re-build or Cummins swap. I've seen several guys have had good success with auto rx and had a couple of questions for you guys.

1. I bought 2 bottles of Auto Rx and 3 gallons of Ford Diesel Oil to do my cleaning cycle. Will the Ford oil work well, or do I need to get something different?

2. Im burning about 1-1.5 quarts of oil a week, so at that rate the Auto rx will be burned up as well since its mixed in the oil. Do I need to add additional auto rx periodically when topping up the oil, or just top it up with straight oil?

3.Realistically, does anyone think any results will be seen? Ive never driven another factory turbo IDI before other than mine, so I have nothing to compare my truck to in terms of how well it runs per-say. I'm just thinking if it runs as well as I "think" it does, then the rings might be the problem, and the rest of the engine can be saved hopefully. Ive read several reviews of Auto RX and ive seen alot of people say it works well on freeing stuck rings, anyone have good luck with that?

4. Lastly, the LAST thing Auto Rx is gonna advertise is potential side effects from using their products. Anyone know of any POSSIBLE side effects I should be on the lookout for?

Matt

Matt

I ran it thru my IDIT last November/December. Mine was burning about 2 qts per 3k miles and was ******* me off. Now that I've gone thru the suggested use of Auto RX I burn no noticeable amount of oil at all. I have in recent weeks sprung a small oil leak which I need to figure out where it's coming from. I can't stand oil leaks! I really wanted to do a before and after compression test but just didn't get to it so who knows on that.
If I owned your pickup and given the oil consumption I'd definitely give a dose of AutoRx a try.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

Matt

Let me give you my experience with oil consumption problem in a 7.3 in my old dually. I had a bad CDR. Replaced that with a road draft tube. Cut my oil consumption down but not completely. Then i hooked it to a trailer and loaded the motor hard and ran it. Really cut my oil consumption. My current IDI, every few months i hook it to a trailer and run it hard down the interstate. I already had run autorx and it improved my compression #'s by really cleaning out the ring pack. But it will still gum up if the motor is used as a grocery getter. These things really like getting worked.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

Matt

Let me give you my experience with oil consumption problem in a 7.3 in my old dually. I had a bad CDR. Replaced that with a road draft tube. Cut my oil consumption down but not completely. Then i hooked it to a trailer and loaded the motor hard and ran it. Really cut my oil consumption. My current IDI, every few months i hook it to a trailer and run it hard down the interstate. I already had run autorx and it improved my compression #'s by really cleaning out the ring pack. But it will still gum up if the motor is used as a grocery getter. These things really like getting worked.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My oil consumption was cut to 1/3 what it previously was after I did one treatment of auto Rx. Burned about 1 quart driving 2600 miles from Oregon to Texas.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My oil consumption was cut to 1/3 what it previously was after I did one treatment of auto Rx. Burned about 1 quart driving 2600 miles from Oregon to Texas.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I put 2 bottles in a vw idi that was burning oil and low compression and a mercedes OE617 with the same issues. Ran them for a complete drain interval and noticed no benifits. Just my experience.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Matt

Personally, I would add 2 oz per qt of oil added and keep the balance ratio if you have a real heavy burner. I've done that before on a few that were really chomping the oil hard and it seemed to be the logical thing to do. It did the trick. Ended up with great results on those engines in the long run except for one that was simply a hopeless case due to mechanical damage, and nothing is going to cure that short of a rebuild.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I changed it yesterday and added the Auto Rx in with the 15-40 Motorcraft Superduty Oil. That auto Rx is like tar! Took forever to drain thru the funnel. And I guess I will order an extra bottle or two to add when I top it up.
The only thing that concerns me is potential oil leaks being started/exaggerated by this stuff. I already have a few leaks but nothing pouring anywhere....................yet.
Thanks again for all the input!

Matt

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished running a whole cycle of the stuff on my truck, and honestly have not seen any real dramatic results. I know the top end of the motor had some sludge in it before this, and I haven't pulled the calve covers off to look at it since so I cant say whether it cleaned that up. I have a little bit less blow by, thats the only real difference I can notice. My truck didn't really burn much oil before hand, so there's not much to improve on. I can say that the oil that came out of the motor after was as black as I had ever seen, so it must of picked some stuff up while it was in there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine stopped some leaks, helped out blow by, and cut consumption. My engine was fairly clean to begin with though, thats for sure.

Wouldnt a filter change half way through the process help out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online