Attempted my first batch

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yeppers I grabbed up my trusty handy dandy 2 liter Mt. Dew bottle, 4 grams of lye, 200~250ml of methanol, 1 glass mason jar, 1 liter of new oil from the kitchen and 1 sauce pan.

Started heating the oil in the pan on the stove, while that was happening I measured out my **** and lye - dumped both in the mason jar - started shaking the living snot out of it until the glass was a wee bit warm, then came back to it every few mins and shook it some more until the lye was completely dissolved.

Grabbed my handy dandy Mt. Dew bottle and funnel, poured the oil down the hatch followed by the ****/lye combo.

I then started shaking the living snot out of the bottle (yes the lid was on) and within a second or so I had a nice 3/4 fill bottle of GLOP! -cuss -cuss -cuss

This does not look good for the home team to start brewing fuel.

My guess at this point is that my liberated scale is not working properly and maybe I got too much lye in the mix. I'm going to have to see about getting a new scale to play with to see if my measurements are correct or not.

But do any of you know what I did wrong. I was following the directions in Girl_Mark's book...

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
4 grams id really hard to get accurate on any digital scale unless it is really precice. I use a freon scale and it is ok to about 3 grams. If you made glop with new oil you put too much lye in. Try making a gallon batch .

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I posted this on a bio diesel forum and basically found out I had oh about 3 times too much lye :idiot: So my liberated scale is not quite such a good buy... I have since ordered a new one off flea-bay last night (late) so I'll try again in about a week.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MudHog said:
where did you get a small amount of ****. from? I'd like to make a small batch myself to try it, but can't find a small source of ****.
If you want to do just a small test batch you can use "HEAT" gasoline additive found at your local parts stores. Its not pure Methanol but it is about 98% pure.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Go to the parts store and get the yellow bottle of heet gas line drier or air brake anti frezee great for small batches like that. If you have a race shop near by they may sell it by the gallon.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you JUST starting making it, expect it to be pretty nasty looking the first hour or so after shaking. Let it set overnight somewhere warm and you should see good seperation.

5 grams of lye (Sodium), or 7 grams of KOH (potassium) should be perfect for brand new oil.

Yes, the YELLOW bottle of HEET is like 98% methanol. There is JUST enough in a single bottle to brew up 1 liter of oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online