ATS up pipe leaks revisited.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I've tried this at least 4 times before with both stove pipe cement and auto store exhaust putty. This time I went about it a different way.
You must be registered for see images attach

I decided to try these two products after much consideration. I bought these at Napa.

I also bought some cleaning supplies to prep the mating surfaces with.

Chocked up for some prep work.

I took the fabric and precut it to size to give some structure to the joint and act as a filler.

Next I applied the putty, wrapped the fabric around the joint and added more putty.

I had to do the install twice as the fabric got pushed out the first time. I reached up and tried to add some putty to the joint and push it into the coupling area the best I could.

The truck has since been driven for several thousand miles and no leak has recovered.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't seal to the manifold, I used a "tailpipe and muffler" sealer on all the joints. It said to run it for 15 minutes to dry then shut off to cure drive it later that day no leaks and man what a difference in spool huh?? Lol and no more ticking noise! Also I didn't know that's how the downpipe hanger went on there I though mine was bent and it's connectect to my frame now because there was a hole close by LOL

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Im gonna pull the engine and try to weld that mrfkr.... also install head studs n a clutch:cool:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't seal to the manifold, I used a "tailpipe and muffler" sealer on all the joints. It said to run it for 15 minutes to dry then shut off to cure drive it later that day no leaks and man what a difference in spool huh?? Lol and no more ticking noise! Also I didn't know that's how the downpipe hanger went on there I though mine was bent and it's connectect to my frame now because there was a hole close by LOL
So the tail pipe sealer didn't work it blew out in about a months time after, finally I realized that you hve to change both studs on ps manifold, when I looked at a diagram it only appears to be the outside one, replaced both with bolts and a few washers and tightened them down today everything lined up different than before and now it's sealed "100%" sounds much much better and test drive will be later today

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second up date of the day exhaust stud broke off driving on highway and I'm just gonna buy a new kit this 088 ats been a fight the whole time now contacting Russ shortly for a kit from him lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like this is really a problem area for some but not others. Russ is the person to go to for help, parts and much more.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had this same issue with my old turbo, Russ's castings work beautifully.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking getting a factory kit with wheel upgrade from him for a while now and this kits just been giving me troubles for a long time lol but I have to temp fix it for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online