ARP Studs

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do the ARP head studs on my 6.0 but really don`t want to pull heads can the studs be done on a one for one basis, remove one head bolt at a time and replace it with a stud and nut.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not tried this myself but...I've heard it can be done. I had mine installed when the HG's were done, cab off procedure.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure..... but with HG/Bolts being a known weak point, if I were going to do it, I would take the time to remove the heads, replace with KNOWN GOOD NEW HEADS GASKETS and Verified GOOD heads by a machine shop.

There are also clearance issues on the rear cylinders to remove the bolts against the firewall/cowl to get the bolts out and the studs in. Also, proper ARP Head Stud installation procedure has 5 separate torque/loosen/torque sequences, which would suck hanging over the fender/radiator. I just had to remove the FICM and just leaning back there long enough to do that, sucked...... let alone enough to do heads.

I/when I have to do head gaskets, a buddy and I will remove the engine (Removing the "cab" on an Excursion would be difficult at home). We will replace the head gaskets and install studs at the time, and probably do an EGR Delete at the same time and reinstall the engine. Much easier to work on when I can stand next to it, especially during the stud install sequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online