Are VSS and ABS wheel speed sensors now unobtanium?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I've already bought two of the newer style all-plastic-housing ones and they both gave my E4OD a heart attack. Wasted $60 and have looked all over for the one with the metal attach flange but no luck.

Every place I've asked, crosses the factory part number over to that plastic junk. I'm currently using one from a junkyard but it is showing signs of impending failure.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift the rear axle so the tires are just off the ground. Pull the VSS and use a mirror and light to inspect the tone ring while your slowly spin the wheel.

Any chipped or missing teeth can jack with the signal. It doesn't matter what VSS you use at that point. Also make sure the VSS base is clean and flush. There is a very small gap tolerance required for a good steady signal.

FWIW, I'm running the new plastic VSS and it works just fine. But I had to have my tone ring replaced.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you haven't done it already... just pull the rear diff cover. I'm sure the oil needs changing anyway, and you can take a good look at the gears, play etc.

It was really enlightening when I just did that to my new '92. In addition to finding surface rust across about 1/2 of the tone ring(I'm guessing that side sat out of the oil for a couple of years), there was some decent pitting in a few teeth. The entire carrier assembly had about .030" of side play, and one of the bearings had some pitting.

Needless to say, it's going to need a new tone ring...
In my case, the only symptoms I noticed was that at 45+MPH, the speedometer would randomly jump down by 8 MPH, then back up just as quickly. It wasn't wavering, just jumping back and forth. Screwed with the cruise too.
No transmission issues... because it's a manual.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with these guys.There's nothing known wrong with the new ABS/VSS sensors.I too would suspect your tone ring,wiring or PSOM.