anyone ever convert a van from automatic to manual trans?

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying a good running, rust free '85 IDI extended van for sale locally. I'm a die hard manual shifter from way back and it's my dream to own a manual trans 6.9/7.3 IDI (turbo) extended van, has it ever been done???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The shifter would be pretty far back.
I seem to recall it being talked about.
Iirc, you would have to do a custom clutch pedal, as the truck pedals won't swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 E150 with a 6cyl 3spd on the column i'm keeping all the pedals and linkage for my 86 shortvan. there was a 4spd and a 5spd option for the 85ish to 91 E150s that came with a hydraulic clutch, that would definitely be a better option for a diesel clutch.

they are still out there , depending where you are might be more than you think. post a wanted ad in craigslist or any online ad forum and you might be surprised.

I tried to buy a 91 E150 with a 6cyl 5spd manual last summer in Windsor Ontario, but I couldn't justify spending 1200 on it. I was interested at around $700 but it sold. all I really wanted was the manual trans parts.

good luck, have patience> I looked for my manual 76 for about a year and got it running and driving for $400 Canadian...........

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome, I had no idea it was an option in the late 80's as I have never seen one, looks like it is going to happen!!

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searched and came up with this inside pic from an '87 conversion van gasser with a 4 speed, I just wish it was for sale!!

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
This would not be that bad of a project. You can get those aftermarket universal clutch pedal, make a mount for it beside the auto. brake pedal, bolt a master to the firewall, and run a hydraulic line to the slave.

And the shifter would not be set back at all, it will come out thru the base end of the dog house, you will need to cut the floor abit if it's a C6 van, if E4OD van, you'll be fine. The E4OD vans have a longer base at the dog house for the much bigger transmission compared to the C6, witch was shorter.

Here is a '79 E100 with an NP435 4spd, works fine with the "shorter" C6 style dog house (this is a factory NP435 van though).

And here is a 1990 E150 conversion van, factory M5OD, the ZF5 shifter would be at the exact same location on an E4OD style "longer" doghouse.

Heres the universal clutch pedal I was talking about

Oh, I knew I had this picture somewhere, heres a 4x4 ZF5 installed, behind a 6BT cummins in an 86 Ford van.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome, thanks for all the info and inspiration it's definitely going to happen!! I did find an '81 econoline with a straight 6 for sale on craigslist I'm seriously considering.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Rare find, but nothing useful for you on it unless you want to put an IDI in a half ton van, witch is totally fine as well, but that's got the old RUG 4spd OD tranny, looks exactly the same as the old top loader mustang 4spd, but this one, 4th, is OD, and a very light duty transmission. Clutching system will be linkages on that 81 as well.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rare find, but nothing useful for you on it unless you want to put an IDI in a half ton van, witch is totally fine as well, but that's got the old RUG 4spd OD tranny, looks exactly the same as the old top loader mustang 4spd, but this one, 4th, is OD, and a very light duty transmission. Clutching system will be linkages on that 81 as well.

Yeah I was thinking keep and drive as it is, maybe convert to 4x4 if possible, guy said it gets 20mpg and I love those old torque-y straight 6's, I had a '79 F150 4x4 4speed in my younger days I had a lot of fun with before the body disintegrated. Would just need a place to park it so my wife wouldn't know "we" own it!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This van has a T-19 in it. I wish I knew how to get back in touch with him...cool tools.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online