Anybody have a good ear,,

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im curious to, I'm guessing I'm slightly retarded...ha ha. About to roll out and take my babies to the park, I'll let ya know. I had calculated my rpm @ 60mph to be at 2,250rpm in 4th gear, and 1,850rpm at 50mph.

Icanfixall, that sound like a hell of a set up!! I'll research it so if I do that vs buying a pulse adapter then I'll have a decent understanding of what's involved. I'm tapped out this week financially either way,

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do get the timing meter, I'm curious where you ended up by ear, and then what the meter shows and how she 'feels' after you adjust per the meter.

Also, for the OP - as you have it timed right now, what does it sound like when on the highway at 60-ish in top gear? No clatter? Little clatter? Lots of clatter?
Had a decent amount of clatter, not to obnoxious though

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a decent amount of clatter, not to obnoxious though
Sounds close. I usually like mine with just the littlest bit of clatter on the highway(personal preference, I guess, though I don't notice any power loss compared to extra clatter).

If the low end suffers, you can rotate the light-load advance cam to give you more or less advance down low.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time your engine with a timing meter, not how it "sounds" going down the highway.
I have done mine multiple times (with a timing meter), and have ballparked it a few as well, sometimes being 4-6 degrees off when I thought it was good.
When I first bought my rig, I advanced timing a dimes width and ran it for a while. Loved the additional power but didn't like how the glowplugs looked. The advanced timing melted the tips off. Imagine what else it's doing inside your engine. It was running around 12 degrees btdc when it did that.
If you have any doubts with where the timing should be, just line up the scribe marks until you get a meter on it. It will be in the safe range before getting it dialed in.
Nice truck btw!

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have it timed within the next 2 weeks. I know my factory temp gauge isn't accurate but she ran warmer today than what it's normally reading. Typically I'm at the "O" and today was up at the "M" with the needle leaning towards the "A"

Has anybody using a real temp gauge ever seen temps run higher with a small timing adjustment? I'm going to go get a gauge for accurate readings

I'm not worried, but I did back timing down some and I'll follow up on this post once it's timed correctly and I have accurate gauges!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time your engine with a timing meter, not how it "sounds" going down the highway.
I have done mine multiple times (with a timing meter), and have ballparked it a few as well, sometimes being 4-6 degrees off when I thought it was good.
When I first bought my rig, I advanced timing a dimes width and ran it for a while. Loved the additional power but didn't like how the glowplugs looked. The advanced timing melted the tips off. Imagine what else it's doing inside your engine. It was running around 12 degrees btdc when it did that.
If you have any doubts with where the timing should be, just line up the scribe marks until you get a meter on it. It will be in the safe range before getting it dialed in.
Nice truck btw!
Thank you!! I'll have her timed correctly soon, I took your advice and backed her down a skosh.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I timed mine by ear back and forth about 4 times drove and retimed found a spot it seemed to feel and sound best and start easy. Still wasn't satisfied so took it to shop had it timed they set it to 5* told me that was the best timing for it. What I had it set to was 8* btdc on my own because they check it before and after. didn't notice much difference between 5 and 8 degrees just a little less smoke and some earlier spoil but with 90cc pump and stage 1 injectors and sorta laggy 088 ats turbo some smoke is to be expected.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Does your oil pressure normally run that high, and was the tank you were on full to the brim? If not, it may have been the IVR acting up....... The 80-86 are known for that.......

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank was just topped off and had just had an oil change a few hours prior. I backed timing off 1/2 dime's thickness after I took that picture and leaving it there until timed with equipment.
She ran cool like she always had this morning, staying on the "O".
Next check I'll get the timing squared up and guages installed.
Never heard of the IVR, I'll study up on it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
IVR - Instrument Voltage Regulator. The gauges in these trucks, are a 6 volt gauge, and the IVR is a 50% duty cycle "switch". So it is on supplying voltage half the time, and its off the other half. So, when it's working properly the gauges show their "normal" level. The IVR can stick, and supply voltage all the time, so the gauges will read high..... so this may be the issue..... It's not uncommon to be driving down the road, hit a bump, and all the gauges start to read high (Normally you only notice the temperature gauge the first couple of times) hit a bump, or thump the dash and they all settle back to where you expect to seem them. I would say if all gauges are reading high, I would look into the IVR on the back of the instrument cluster. It's a little silver box, and not all that expensive.......

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learn something new every time I view this forum, appreciate you posting that. I'll dig into it tonight