Alternator

WVAiredales

Reaction score
92 7.3 idi, called the auto parts store to see if they had one. He says they have several for that year? Why? It has the vee belt running to it. I am at work and don't have a picture.... arghh

He says some have internal and some have external regulators. Any advice from the experts here?

Many Thanks
Shawn

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a picture would allow us to tell you 100% what alt it is. in 92 it should be the older 1g.

is there a regulator on your inner fender?

the other way to tell is if there are cooling fins on the outside or the inside of the alt.

WVAiredales

Reaction score
I don't have a picture, it does have cooling fins on the outside, I do remember that. Maybe two bolts for it< maybe three? The top one adjusts the belt tension

Shawn

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In '92,the transition year of the 1g and 3g alt,along with the upgraded 3g,came the serpentine belt.So if you have v belts,you have the old alternator with external regulator (unless someone upgraded).If you have the serpentine belt,you have the upgraded alt with internal regulator.

At this point,if you have the time,you should consider buying a 3g alt and do the upgrade yourself since you need an alternator anyway.There are articles here showing how to do the conversion.IMO,all IDI trucks should make this very affordable swap due to the low cost to do it,to get such a major upgrade.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I have a '90 and got a power master from summit. Internat regulated. Just hook up the batt wire and go. Had to swap pullys becausenof the vacuum pump belt.
Im fairly un impressed... old pully was bigger so less rpm on alternator. It dont charge till it hits 1300 rpm on the engine.
Plus my batt light is on because the field wire ain't hooked to anything any more.
Do some digging. Do the swap.

Good luck,
Another Shawn

idiwelder

Reaction score
When I swapped my truck to 3G every thing was straight forward except on the 83 you have to wire the after glow relay power to the new alternator or else the glow plugs won't quit cycling. Now charges over 14v at idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVAiredales

Reaction score
Just replaced in kind for now. Got her running and it is charging just fine. Thanks guys for advice for a newbie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online