Alright so whats the problem with fords?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Most people who have had good luck with them, run them in factory spec, no tuners, no big turbos, no big injectors and follow the oil, filter and other change intervals set out by Ford.

I agree 100%. I have a 6.0 with 104k on it. I have not had any problem with it. However, I am running 100% stock, no tuner, and change the oil every 5000 miles PERIOD!!!, running only Motorcraft filters. I also change the fuel filters at 10000 miles with ONLY motorcraft filters. Alot of people that have problems with a 6.0 put a tuner on it and want to run it way over design specs. Stock, will last a long time, and personally, I do not see a need to turn it up, it does everything that I ask of it, and does it with decent fuel economy. Just this last weekend, I took it on a trip of ~650 miles, and still have not put fuel in the truck, since hand calculating it, I was running ~18MPG........

On the EGR Issues,

One is the EGR Valve sooting up and causing issues. I have not had a issue with this, and the main reasons why are, no extended ideling, and if I do idle a while, or just been driving the truck easy, like in town stop and go alot, when I am able to start moving again, I will give it a couple of good hard accelerations, this makes the valve move through its entire range of motion, and keeps it cleaned out, this also exersizes the veins in the turbo and keeps them moving freely also.

The other is the EGR cooler failing. One major factor in the cooler failing is coolant restriction. The coolant path runs through the oil cooler first, and then throught the EGR Cooler. The passages in the oil cooler start to plug which restricts proper coolant flow the the EGR Cooler, when the EGR Cooler is overheated because of this lack of coolant, it can melt the solder in the cooler causing it to leak. The best way to keep this from happening is keeping the coolant in good condition. The best way to do this is with a coolant filter. I believe my water pump is starting to leak, and when I drain the coolant to repair the water pump, I plan on flushing out the block, putting fresh coolant into the truck, and installing a coolant filter.

Last edited:

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
^ hahaha see now that might not fly over well on a ford sub-forum :p

Do the 7.3s have the same egr setup?

Nope. No egr setup like 6ohs.

And im on the powerstroke.org site and love to cause hell there like that. My avatar is a cummins logo. :sly

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Which valves, the EGR Valve, or the Intake and Exhaust valves? The EGR Valve can soot up and stick. This can be cleaned, or replaced, or there are EGR Delete kits available (this is an emmissions item, so they are really intened for off-road use only). As for the intake and exhaust valves, I do not recall reading anything about issues about these.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which valves, the EGR Valve, or the Intake and Exhaust valves? The EGR Valve can soot up and stick. This can be cleaned, or replaced, or there are EGR Delete kits available (this is an emmissions item, so they are really intened for off-road use only). As for the intake and exhaust valves, I do not recall reading anything about issues about these.

Ya sorry I meant the intake exhaust valves, a family friend had to take his 6.0 in and apparently they gave him a choice between installing the 'old' valves that are prone to failure and the new design which should last a lifetime, I believe ford quoted him $7200 CAD for the replacement, he ended up finding a private garage and getting it done for $3400 CAD. Which IMO is still pretty steep, was this just a once in a blue moon thing or do most 6.0's face this problem?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya sorry I meant the intake exhaust valves, a family friend had to take his 6.0 in and apparently they gave him a choice between installing the 'old' valves that are prone to failure and the new design which should last a lifetime, I believe ford quoted him $7200 CAD for the replacement, he ended up finding a private garage and getting it done for $3400 CAD. Which IMO is still pretty steep, was this just a once in a blue moon thing or do most 6.0's face this problem?

I have not read anything about a valve design change. I know most issues with the 6.0 have been EGR or Head Gasket related. I have 105k on mine now, and it is stll running very good, with all the factory components in it. Right now it is my Daily Driver due to weather, and I would not hesitate to get in and drive to California right now...... I am just due for an oil change, and the cost of fuel. The only really issue I have had with mine is it eating alternators, but we found that was, what we believe, to be a combo of bad rebuilds, and marginal batteries. The batteries now are shot and being replaced, I am borrowing a set from another truck right now and everything is happy.

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Like the premise of this thread...
very much like the Senate -- ASSume a problem to try a fix it :)

119k of hard running with an sct tuned 8.9 second Excursion that does a LOT of idling....
(that's not real fast, but fast enough for a tank !)

Did not hesitate putting my wife in it for an emergency trip to Memphis from DFW last week.... just like with ANY vehicle, ya gots some good uns and sum bad uns !

but, to respond to what the OP asked, the main problem is they sold a gazillion of them and if there were problems with 1%...... well 1% of 100 is 1 truck.... 1% of a million.... :)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Like the premise of this thread...
very much like the Senate -- ASSume a problem to try a fix it :)

119k of hard running with an sct tuned 8.9 second Excursion that does a LOT of idling....
(that's not real fast, but fast enough for a tank !)

Running a tune and running the truck HARD is what keeps these things from sooting up. The soot likes to hide in the EGR valve, cooler and veins in the turbo. A couple good runs once or twice a week keeps them cleaned out.

What else have you done to the engine besides a tuner....:sly

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the cab removal thing- In now way shape or form do you have to remove the cab to do anything to a 6.0 truck, that came along withe the 6.4 in the 2008 and up trucks. Now having that said my preference to do any major work is with the cab off it makes things so much easier and you dont have to lay over top of a radiator and core support. I can have a cab off in a little over an hour and a half, and I haven't done very many some guys can do them in under an hour.

On 6.0s with problems yes they have them but most can be held off with GOOD preventative maintenance.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the cab removal thing- In now way shape or form do you have to remove the cab to do anything to a 6.0 truck, that came along withe the 6.4 in the 2008 and up trucks. Now having that said my preference to do any major work is with the cab off it makes things so much easier and you dont have to lay over top of a radiator and core support. I can have a cab off in a little over an hour and a half, and I haven't done very many some guys can do them in under an hour.

On 6.0s with problems yes they have them but most can be held off with GOOD preventative maintenance.

How do you even go about taking off the cab? Do you use a forklift to pull it up and off?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01