Alright so whats the problem with fords?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that their prone to gasket failure...and the only way to get to it is to take the cab of??...Is this why people like to bash the 6.0litres? BTW I searched 'heads' and 'valves' and didn't find anything about taking the cab off.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Someone I knew had one, put a tuner on it and it got ALL screwed up. The Ford dealership in town removed the cab to do whatever work had to be done to the engine. Something about the EGR and head gaskets.

So, the removing the cab part is true. That is all I know about the sick point 0's lol

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I heard that their prone to gasket failure...and the only way to get to it is to take the cab of??...Is this why people like to bash the 6.0litres? BTW I searched 'heads' and 'valves' and didn't find anything about taking the cab off.

Most people who have had good luck with them, run them in factory spec, no tuners, no big turbos, no big injectors and follow the oil, filter and other change intervals set out by Ford.

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
im not sure alls i know is my buddy run his own shop and he didnt pull the cab to do the heads on a 6.0 and from what he says the 6.0 and the 7.3 are both pretty much the same.
If your guna do anything with a 6.o like runing a programer u need head studs and a egr delete

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people who have had good luck with them, run them in factory spec, no tuners, no big turbos, no big injectors and follow the oil, filter and other change intervals set out by Ford.

They make pretty good power stock tho don't they?.....Yea when i get myself a diesel i'm going to go with either the ford 7.3 IDI or chev 6.5.....I hate all this electrical crap vehicles have these days;p

Is an egr delete ford's way of getting around this problem?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
They make pretty good power stock tho don't they?.....Yea when i get myself a diesel i'm going to go with either the ford 7.3 IDI or chev 6.5.....I hate all this electrical crap vehicles have these days;p

Is an egr delete ford's way of getting around this problem?

The EGR problem is there in all 6.0's, but when you add a tuner it escalates the problem. A tuner adds more fuel, more fuel means more exhaust gases, more exhaust gases means more exhaust is recirculated through the EGR valve and cooler and back into the cylinders, which puts more stress on the cooler, radiator, valves, etc.

An EGR delete kit is available, BUT removing emissions equipment from an emissions engine is illegal. Most of the time no one would say anything to you, but the one time you get caught......

325 Horsepower and 560 ft. lbs of torque factory specs.

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
my buddy has a 6.0 and the egr wasnt working right. due to that for some reason his oil pump went. he also had a chip on the truck and then the head gaskets went stock i like the power they make if u leave a 6.0 alone and do nothing major to it there nice my grandfather has one and just did and exhaust. other than that id go with the 7.3 IDI over the 6.5 ive known alot of people that had 6.5's and have had nothin but issues

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGR problem is there in all 6.0's, but when you add a tuner it escalates the problem. A tuner adds more fuel, more fuel means more exhaust gases, more exhaust gases means more exhaust is recirculated through the EGR valve and cooler and back into the cylinders, which puts more stress on the cooler, radiator, valves, etc.

An EGR delete kit is available, BUT removing how emissions equipment from an emissions engine is illegal. Most of the time no one would say anything to you, but the one time you get caught......

325 Horsepower and 560 ft. lbs of torque factory specs.

Ic well up here in Prince George we don't have air care ;)...although the trucks here would have the same emissions equipment as a truck in say cali...wouldn't they?

So the 7.3's do they have the same problem?

Well from what ive read its just a matter of relocating the PMD for the 6.5...isn't it? The only thing about the IDI's is their not as easily found as chevs. Even on ebay IDI's are hard to come by.

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
ive never heard of a major issue with the 7.3 powerstrokes i want to get one the only person i know that has issues with a 7.3 is my buddy hassler he runs his own diesel performance shop but thats the only reason he has a single issue hes tryin to get a 1000 horsepower out of the think alls i know is hes gota be close this time hes on his 23rd motor he blew all the other haha.

and where i live it aint that hard to find idi's just every a$$ i find wants to much for a entire truck i can get the motors for 400 apiece

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23rd motor? holy crap haha..well once he achieves 1000hp it'll all be worth it haha

Does it snow where you live? I might have to make a trip down buy a truck and throw an engine or two in the bed:p

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
There are less head bolts on a 6oh than a 7.3 psd has. and the egr cooler fails. however the 2006-2007 are the ones with the lease issues.

heres the other reason.

You must be registered for see images attach

hahahha

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ hahaha see now that might not fly over well on a ford sub-forum :p

Do the 7.3s have the same egr setup?