Alcoa nuts

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Well for once I found out the easy way;
I decided to test the factory jack and lug wrench to do some work on the ol' girl. Sure glad I did it before getting stranded somewhere.

The OEM lug wrench fits 7/8 lug nuts... But my truck has 27mm (1 1/16) lug nuts...

I'm guessing the Alcoas were fitted by an aftermarket company along with the running boards, bucket seats and drop bumper etc. Might not be a bad idea to check your own.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Good idea. I hate relying on the factory lug wrench (or a 4 way for that matter). I carry a long 1/2" ratchet and a set of deep impact sockets. Not cheap, but at least I'll have the right size that way.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those are the Ford interference fit nuts, I would trash them and put some regular nuts on there.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
dgr, I don't know what interference nuts are, nor do I know what these are exactly. I assume these were used because they have a built in washer and wont dig into the aluminum wheel. What is an interference nut, and why are they bad?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can never finish a sentence while working on your wheels...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like at least 80% of the nuts I see on these IDIs are 1 1/16" - either black taper nuts or flat washer backed ones(for dualies)

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have an interference thread. Once you get half a turn on them, you're using a wrench or power tool to put them on the rest of the way.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked my answer better. :D

Reactions: dgr

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They have an interference thread. Once you get half a turn on them, you're using a wrench or power tool to put them on the rest of the way.

That's funny. I didn't know this. I cleaned up the ones I had with a tap so they spun free. And the Dorman copies I bought spun free too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.