Adding factory turbo have question?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First it's a pain to put in the up pipe if that can't split anymore plus I wrapped it with exhaust warp. The only thing I didn't warp was the exhaust manifold.

In 93 did ford start making turbo block and used them in both application?

I have a M engine code. I don't know where casting numbers are on the block.

But the reason I ask is I was told that NA has a 1/8 inch for oil pressure switch and turbos have a 1/4.

Well mines a 1/4. I know people will tap them out to a 1/4 for the turbo set up, and here's the kicker there was no mod got a turbo on this rig. Firewall no dens ect.

I pulled that transmission down so I can cut the ear off and fix the trans leak, well it's cut off but not with a saw or grinder.

So what would be the possibility that my engine is a turbo block?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could very well be that your engine was original equipped with a turbo from the factory and for some reason the last owner removed the turbo and ran it natural aspiration. With everything you have described that would be my guess. The factory up pipe was formed so no mods to the fire wall were needed.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CYLINDER BLOCKS

6.9L IDI 1983-1987
Starting at the beginning, the 6.9L IDI engine was introduced in 1983 with the first series block (c/n 1805440C1). This is considered by most as not a viable block casting for rebuilding. It is easily recognized by the lightweight or narrow gusseting across the upper area in the front of the block (Figure 1).

In 1984 the second series block (c/n 1807996C1) was introduced. With improved structural integrity, this is considered the block to use for all applications of 6.9L engines. To rapidly identify it, look at the same area in the front of the block (Figure 2) with the wide gusseting. The 6.9L was never turbocharged, therefore you will only require one long block part number for all 6.9L applications.

7.3L IDI 1988-1994
Block c/n 10809000C1 was used for the entire 7.3L IDI years of production. The serial numbers for naturally aspirated applications are 500,079 through 1,116,330.

This block was prone to cavitation damage on the exterior of the cylinder walls on the left bank thrust/valley side of the cylinders. For more details about cavitation see "Core Corner: Fighting Truth Decay About Cavitation" (Engine Builder, January 2006, page 38).

These walls were recorded as moving as much as .004˝. Since this block looks nearly identical to the 6.9L, the quick visual for identification are the coolant ports at the corners of the cylinder deck. The 6.9L has triangular coolant ports (Figure 3), while the 7.3L coolant ports are round (Figure 4).

7.3L IDIT 1992-1994
Block c/n 10809000C3 is the turbo block and the end of the IDI chapter. These engines carried serial numbers 1,116,331 to the end of production for the family. Note that the casting number is identical to the non-turbo block other than the C3 at the end. Make no mistake: this is a different and stronger block, which you may certainly use for IDI applications but do not attempt to do it the other way around. You will regret it.

One of the key differences is that the main webs on the turbo blocks are approximately .100˝ thicker. The visual aid for this block can be found at the rear of the engine. The turbo block has a 1/4˝ pipe threaded hole for the oil feed for the turbo (Figure 5). This same port on the non-turbo block is just 1/8˝ and is used for the oil pressure gauge. There are non-turbo blocks out in the field that have been drilled and tapped to 1/4˝ so it is always a good idea to verify serial and casting number.

This was in a old thread I found because I searched up a recent thread that had the same turbo block or not question couldn't find that one but this may help?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had dealer turbos and factory turbos. Pelky350 I guess I need to find the casting number will be awesome if it's a c3

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be on front driver side corner kinda between injection pump housing and corner of cylinder head I believe on the block

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found it it's a c3. Now I wonder if I got the upgrade rods and pistions now that would be awesome. But I'm not going to tear into it to find out till she need it.