94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got the radiator and all the belts in and I wired up the electric fuel pump. I started the truck to try and cycle the new fluids, but my garage was just a bit too fumed up even with the doors open so I'll have to wait. I loved the electric fuel pump tutorial on here!

Now on to more ideas for the build...

With the cost of front hubs to convert the 4x4 to dually fronts and the expense of 6 tires and the fact that I can't run nearly as large tires as I wanted is becoming a problem. I was even reading how horrible dually's perform in the mud and snow. Now I'm running scared and thinking of switching back to SRW which should be pretty easy as my front end is already single.

What do you all think?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
You need spacers to run that big a tire on a dually...2" spacer I believe.

And yes...Duallys suck in the snow. That's why I made mine 4x4

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need spacers to run that big a tire on a dually...2" spacer I believe.

And yes...Duallys suck in the snow. That's why I made mine 4x4

Yes and Ive been told spacers are kinda frowned upon. I plan on going off-road so I'm thinking the dually is a bad idea. Luckily for me I have a neighbor who might be willing to swap parts with me.

I like the dually look but I need functionality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well while doing fuel return lines I got in a fight with the #1 injection line. It's twisted but not linked or broken. Debating on replacing it or just putting it back on. I know it's really high pressure, thoughts???

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im new to the fourm here. Lots a good guys and good info from what i see.

Just wondering if the original tranny had a cable driven speedo and if it did, what dod you to to use a new electronic speedo?

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Im new to the fourm here. Lots a good guys and good info from what i see.

Just wondering if the original tranny had a cable driven speedo and if it did, what dod you to to use a new electronic speedo?

It did have cable driven. I'm hoping to be able to connect it to the transfer case. I'll know more when I yank it all out in the next couple weeks.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the motor stuff finished and cleaned up some of the wiring.
Now time to move on to the hydroboost conversion and if course the zf5 swap!
You must be registered for see images attach

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so I'm getting ready to do the transmission.
But I'm gonna need something to roll this beast around on, and I'm going a very unconventional route. I want to Run Singles and keep my dually rear end and dually bed. My question is given the wider rear end, what offset should I run on a set of 37x12.5x16.5 military wheels?

I already have a 3" body lift and I'm willing to ad some to the suspension if need be.
Here is the look I think I'm going for. I have 4.10 gears right now and I may have to regear.

Looking to do something like this:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running that much tire, stock backspace may be pretty close on a standard srw rim. Dually is about 2.5-3" wider than SRW on either side. Are you swapping the front to SRW style? I'd toss a stock steelie SRW rim on there and see where it hits and adjust. Lugs may be bigger on a dually though. Not sure. I've only ever dealt with aftermarket adapters.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running that much tire, stock backspace may be pretty close on a standard srw rim. Dually is about 2.5-3" wider than SRW on either side. Are you swapping the front to SRW style? I'd toss a stock steelie SRW rim on there and see where it hits and adjust. Lugs may be bigger on a dually though. Not sure. I've only ever dealt with aftermarket adapters.

Front is a single wheel axle already. With a stock steel wheel with a 285 on it. Far as I can tell lugs are the same.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I'm finally ordering wheels and tires. Decided on 35/12.5/17 tires on 17x9 wheels. This will help with towing and hopefully I can still get into the garage.

I spent $1000 on all new brake parts and shocks and steering arms. I'm pulling apart the hubs and find the right front hub is missing a washer and the hub was bent near the grease seal. I've never seen anything like it.
Sourcing a hub

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I'm finally ordering wheels and tires. Decided on 35/12.5/17 tires on 17x9 wheels. This will help with towing and hopefully I can still get into the garage.

I spent $1000 on all new brake parts and shocks and steering arms. I'm pulling apart the hubs and find the right front hub is missing a washer and the hub was bent near the grease seal. I've never seen anything like it.
Sourcing a hub

Ouch

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there... I just ordered $350 worth of brake parts/bearings/seals for the rear of my '90. Still need parking brake cables, shocks, and a driveshaft rebuild... but oh well.. it's just money. Lol

Nice build bud.. keep it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86