93 cummins getrag..BULLET PROOF?

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
hey im new to this forum, and i had a question. i have this 93 cummins 2wd 5 speed, has 275000 miles on it. fuel pump turned up for the past 30000 miles. i give it hell all the time, such as dumping the clutch in third gear, you name it i have done it, still runs like a top, i just cant kill it. i have a Neighbor with the same truck 200000 miles stock and went threw 5 trannys. what gives?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The Getrag is a decent unit provided it is not abused and it is maintained properly. First, the case should be drained and filled with synthetic fluid. If at all possible you should overfill it with one extra quart. Optimally, you would add a cooler at this point. The prime reason for Getrag failures is because of a lack of lubrication on the bearings and such which is eliminated by overfilling.

The Getrag is not a quick-throw trannie. If you don't try to shift like you're drag racing in a Camaro with a short-shift kit you'll be a lot better off. Popping the clutch is also not a good idea.

Lastly, I don't know what the circumstances are with your buddy, but after the 3rd of 4th transmission in 200k miles I'd be looking for another problem. Maybe a bad installation or the shafts aren't lined up. Sounds like something other than a transmission problem.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
You can buy an aftermarket cooler from Geno's garage. Basically it's a piece of aluminum with fins that bolts between the trannie housing and the PTO cover. I think they're about $30. It also gives the advantage of additional fluid in the case.

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
well that is very believeable sence as the years go there is more horsepower which in turn everything needs to be cooler

TexasGunmetal

Diesel & Gun Smoke!
Reaction score
That truck was not driven by you for the last 275,000 miles, I know that much.
Dumping the clutch and hauling ass will tear it up quick. I suggest you change the fluid often and over-fill it because it probably won't last you too much longer.

I installed a professionally rebuilt getrag in a friends car hauler and it lasted a few months before it started making noise and screwing up.
It's an extended frame car hauler with a long steel flat bed, so it's like driving around loaded all the time. but he short shifts and runs it hard and the getrags just do-not hold up. The fresh built getrag was over-filled 2 quarts with royal purple synchromesh and also had an external cooler, it still did not hold up.
An NV4500 is far superior.. many UPS trucks use the NV4500 manual transmission and they withstand a lot of hard use. The getrag is not for heavy duty use. If I were converting to a manual transmission it would be a 5 or 6 speed new venture.

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
actually i bought the truck with 190,000 miles on it i drive it everywhere, i haul equipment out west all the time. it now has 299,000 miles. i posted this a few months ago, shows you how much i drive it. still run it like i stole it. i put a built injection pump on it, on the dyno it runs 290 hp, 40 psi boost...STOCK TRANNY