'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completely rebuilt a 10.25 to replace my Dana 61. Waiting for the right time to put it in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... looks like I need to find some pictures of the brake system already rebuilt. Lol. Glad I didn't just put it under the truck...

You must be registered for see images attach

Verified.. 4.10s with limited slip.

All the guts look good. Just need to figure out how this spindle nut/lock nut works and I'll have it fully stripped. Then prep/paint and rebuild.

I'll be ordering new spring bushings, a new spring mount, new u-bolts, shocks, and swaybar bushings to all go in at once. After this, everything with the rear of the truck should be fresh and ready to go for a good long while.

On that note... can anyone tell me the difference in the spring bushings? Energy suspensions sells 2 kits... one with a "common frame shackle bushing" and one with a "molded-in frame shackle bushing". What is the difference??

Thanks guys

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting closer... will hopefully start going back together tonight.

Non-replaceable e-brake parts cleaned and painted...

Hubs cleaned and painted.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. not as far as I wanted to get... but it's better then nothing. Hard to get a lot done with a 3 month old in the house.. lol

Wire-wheeled and painted...

And half of one side done...

I should have time this weekend to button it all up and finish painting everything. We'll see

EDIT

Got one side done as far as the brakes go... working on the other now.

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes are assembled on both sides. Still need to find some parking brake cable retainers (that holds the cable away from the drum) as mine were gone. Then I can slip on the hubs and drums and that's that.

Still need to order u-bolts, spring bushings, sway bar bushings, and the rear flexible brake line before I can get it under the truck. Will more then likely install shocks on the rear at the same time.. that way all is new and ready to roll.

Anyways..

More to come as time allows.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious, how is the roll on paint job holding up?

So far... so good. I've decided to go through everything on the truck so at some point, it'll get new front fenders and I'll raptor line it like I was originally planning on doing... but that's a ways off.

I dont notice any fade or anything... it's pretty hard to scratch, etc.. I'm still happy with it for what it is.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowest... brake/hub job... ever... lol

Anyways... hubs are back on. I soaked the new bearings in 75/140 synthetic before installing. I also put a thin bead of RTV on both the inner and outer sealing surfaces of the scotseal (2 piece seal design). Had a bit of pitting and was worried about oil seeping. Spindle nuts torqued to 65 and backed off 5 clicks (roughly 1/4 turn).

Should have the housing cleaned and painted/bedlined over the weekend. I'll also be ordering the rest of the little parts to get it swapped in. Slowly making progress...

It'll go faster once the weather warms up and the kid can come out in the shop with me.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowest... brake/hub job... ever... lol

Anyways... hubs are back on. I soaked the new bearings in 75/140 synthetic before installing. I also put a thin bead of RTV on both the inner and outer sealing surfaces of the scotseal (2 piece seal design). Had a bit of pitting and was worried about oil seeping. Spindle nuts torqued to 65 and backed off 5 clicks (roughly 1/4 turn).

Should have the housing cleaned and painted/bedlined over the weekend. I'll also be ordering the rest of the little parts to get it swapped in. Slowly making progress...

It'll go faster once the weather warms up and the kid can come out in the shop with me.
I was looking for information about the spindle nuts, are the front's the same? 65ft lbs and back off 1/4 turn?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The rears use a ratchet nut assembly where as the fronts use a double nut with lock ring. I set the fronts by feel but the rears actually have a torque spec.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle shafts are back in... cover is back on. Everything is stripped down and it's ready to paint.

U-bolts, spring bushings, spring hanger, shocks, and the rear brake line that mounts to the housing are all on order. If I can make room in the shop next week.. I'll hopefully get it swapped in. Looking forward to it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the goods are finally here! New u-bolts, new spring hanger for the one that is damaged (previous owner backed it into something and caught the hanger / twisted it)... Bilstein shocks... Energy Suspensions bushings from the springs... New brake lines for the rear...

Now just need to find time.

70F today... by saturday the high is supposed to be 30F... So this weekend is out. lol. Hopefully I'll get space cleared out in the shop next week so I can finally tear into it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scored these for $200. 16.5x10s They'll be here next week!

Planning to wrap them with 37" military take-offs.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I'd updated this... so figured I would.

Finally got rubber wrapped around those 16.5s... Thanks to Trail Worth Fab and their $40 tire sale. Got 5 37s shipped to my door for under $360.

Mounted up and balanced...

So over the weekend, I decided to pull the rear drive shaft and send it out to the local drive line shop for new u-joints and carrier. I knew the carrier bearing was shot so I didn't even bother looking things over.. just threw it in the truck and dropped it off.

I got a call yesterday morning asking what exactly I wanted done and how quick I needed it... When I said just u-joints and carrier, my drive line guy laughed at me. The previous owner did me the solid favor of welding in all the u-joints and twisting both tubes.. along with bending the slip in between both shafts. My drive line guy says he assumes that it threw it out at speed (as the yokes were broken and welded back together as well). After calling around... he said if we went back all new, it would be a few days and almost $800. He said he would scrounge around his shop and see what he could come up with.

After a few hours, he called back and said he found all of the yokes and slips laying around... would be able to re-use 1 of my weld in yokes (the only part of the shaft that was usable).. and could get me out for $400.

Went and picked it up... new 3.5" tubes front and rear... larger joints in the middle.. new carrier.. all new spicer u-joints... balanced and painted up.

I also discovered that the pinion nut had backed off and was only hand tight. I have a new rear end sitting in the shop when time allows me to put it in... so I cleaned the threads for the yoke.. slathered it in red loctite and torqued it back to spec. New driveshaft in place and it runs out like a dream now.

I cant believe that I'd put several thousand miles on that shaft in that condition without it failing completely.

I also got around to installing a steering stabilizer.

The Rough Country kit fit the stock axle side bracket nicely so all I had to use was the damper and the tie rod bracket.

Anyways.. more to come as time allows.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great ! I don't suppose that $40 tire sale is still going on...? Man wish I had known.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01