7.3 running weird

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting cold and idling it just seems to be running different than usuall, extra clattery and just a little different I suppose. Pump is new, injectors new, lift pump new return lines new. Advance is working(manual switch). It seems normal when it's warms up but it's hard to explain. Also have had a tick for a long while it comes and goes though. All fluids look good could use a quart of oil but still in safe cross zone. Like I can hear it idle up and down a little really slightly as well

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your cold advance is doing its job. Should come off at about 135F. Maybe it wasn't working on the old pump or maybe with the new pump and injectors you got it close to timed right?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timed at 5 degrees, always thought that was weird but that's where oregon fuel injection decided the idi runs best at. I question them on it because everyone else says at least 7-8.5 and 6 is pretty retarded for quicker spoiling. It runs good but I do notice blue smoke sometimes before it's warmed up. And cold advance/high idle turn off when I turn off them because it's on a manual switch pretty much nothing factory electrical works on my truck LOL

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any issues at speed? floored?
I know that air in the system can cause all sorts of weird issue. With the engine running, it's not "air intrusion", but more like "constant air leakage" that would cause such a problem. If it *is* air, it's pre-lift-pump, somewhere air can be sucked in.

It runs good but I do notice blue smoke sometimes before it's warmed up.
Indicative of retarded timing, generally.

Also, tick wise:
Once it's warmed up, does it tick on deceleration as well? Or only on acceleration? Only cruising?
Does it go away only to come back after a good long acceleration or something?

A rod knock/tick tends to always be there, on deceleration as well. A sticky lifter may fade in and out depending on oil pressure and temperature(usually it's crud on the little check valve ball inside keeping it from closing all the way).

A failed valve guide will produce a ticking that will fade in and out randomly, pretty constantly as the valve floats around and sometime seals right, sometimes not.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really floor it because my turbo(ats 088 non gated) can't keep up with the pump (r and d 90cc) but if I do it gets the power stroke clatter and smokes like no tomorrow(black smoke) actually accelerated better eased into it until turbo starts to spoil then full throttle is applied. The tick is only present sometimes. Not on deceleration and tends to be more on acceleration but also have exhaust leak pre turbo that's very small but I do know there's lifter tick in the as well as the exhaust leak. Pretty certain it's not a rod though over heard them before just not on an idi.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really floor it because my turbo(ats 088 non gated) can't keep up with the pump (r and d 90cc) but if I do it gets the power stroke clatter and smokes like no tomorrow(black smoke) actually accelerated better eased into it until turbo starts to spoil then full throttle is applied.
I know my 110cc pump will do that too; *too much* fuel down low will make the engine clatter and have almost no power. That's not the 'diesel clatter' that's timing related, that's just plain engine not being happy.
Y'know, something you might just be interested in:
A Hypermax "Smoke Puff Limiter".
What it *actually* does is limit fuel based on boost. It makes it *really* hard to over-fuel it down low, and you can easily just 'give it gas' without worrying about it clattering and losing power.

In /theory/, I'm "losing" power down low, in reality, it's made my truck *much* stronger feeling from idle to 1500RPM where the turbo kicks in. And, does it without any real smoke.
Yes, it's possible to make it smoke by flooring it(depending on adjustment), but I'm convinced that it was a really good investment for me, performance wise. It made my (overly fueled) IDI a pleasure to drive in town at low RPMs.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was my truck I would;

1.Install an intercooler asap.
2.Bump the timing up (at least) 1-2* more to around 6-7 BTDC.

OR.

1.Turn the fuel down 2 flats.
2.Bump the timing up (at least) 1-2* more to around 6-7 BTDC.

I like the suggestion to install the smoke puff limiter as well.I have one on chip truck with a (snappy,instant boosting) waste gated banks,bull moose ip and intercooler and still benefited from it greatly.Though,for your issues,the fuel down (or intercooler) and a slight timing bump will help you get back into much closer to proper tune again with your current setup.
That smoke puff limiter really cleans up take offs and pre-downshifts.It's completely more advanced than anything you can do with your foot.Though this isn't what your issues are caused by.Your under timed and over fueled greatly.

Last edited:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intercooler is currently in the works now have all the parts just have some cutting to do to make it fit, yes I think I'm gonna take it back to Oregon fuel injection and tell them I want it bumped up to 6-7 should be under warranted stiill, turning the fuel down I'm not sure I want to do because it can burn the fuel just not down low once it picks up some it will boost 18 19 psi and clear up to a light haze. Smoke puff limiter will be down the road but hopefully not too long it'd probably help fuel economy some though its lot that bad if I keep my foot out of it.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After running strangely last night it seems to run perfectly today, I paid more attention to the tick and it ticks above like 1200 rpms loudest to about 1800 rpms before motor noise drowns it out again. It can Ben heard slightly at idle and on deceleration as well(not engine breaking though I don't downshift I like to save my clutch brakes are cheaper) it will come and go though as I'm driving or if I idle it up to like 1300 and hold it steady it can be heard coming and going. Probably not a imidiate problem but eventually want to get another 7.3 build up out of the truck and swap in once this ones tired out. Only have 170xxx on it now though so I feel like I should have some time before this motor it tired out