7.3 loosing water?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
My 7.3 started loosing water right after I did the oil cooler gaskets. There not any in the oil that I can tell I let it sit a few days and pulled the plug and it was black.no coolant smell at the exhaust and it don't run any different.i can't see any visible leaks and the system will hold pressure for a day or two.any ideas?
You must be registered for see images attach
that's what the oil looked like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it constantly loosing water to where you need to top it off daily? Or has the water level dropped, you topped it off, and now is fine? If the latter it could have been air working it's way out of the cooling system.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Is it constantly loosing water to where you need to top it off daily? Or has the water level dropped, you topped it off, and now is fine? If the latter it could have been air working it's way out of the cooling system.
No I'm puttin like a gallon a day lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's odd. Has to be going somewhere though. Lol
Are you running coolant or straight water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is not going into the oil pan, it might be head gaskets. Does the exhaust smell like coolant?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
That's odd. Has to be going somewhere though. Lol
Are you running coolant or straight water?

A mix ive been using more water here lately cause coolants not cheep lol and no it does not smell like coolant

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just curious. Easier to find coolant traces than plain water.
And plain water will steam/evaporate easier.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Just curious. Easier to find coolant traces than plain water.
And plain water will steam/evaporate easier.

It was goin through just as much antifreeze in the winter when I was driving it to.i thought that at first .my idi has the exact same problem only it's a gallon every couple days and not everyday but it was the same didn't matter if it was antifreeze or water

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Prior to doing the gaskets you had ZERO coolant loss?
Non that I ever knew about.i put new prints and gaskets on the oil cooler but there's no coolant coming out of it that I can tell.im gonna do some more checking on it when I get back to the house.how long should the system hold pressure though?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looses a gallon of water every couple weeks or so, I have a very small hole in my radiator at the top and it runs down it evaporating as it goes, never leaves a puddle but I finally noticed it one day a while back, system will hold pressure for quite a while too. I only noticed the excess dust sticking to it and my engine always smells slightly like coolant after driving.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Mine looses a gallon of water every couple weeks or so, I have a very small hole in my radiator at the top and it runs down it evaporating as it goes, never leaves a puddle but I finally noticed it one day a while back, system will hold pressure for quite a while too. I only noticed the excess dust sticking to it and my engine always smells slightly like coolant after driving.
I'll check my radiator really good and see
But I've never noticed any leaks.the only leak it has is the fuel pump that I know of or have seen

Last edited:

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well the mechanic in town thinks it's a blown hg so looks like I'm droppin this other motor in lol.not was I was hopin for I'll post a pic of why he thinks so in the mornin