7.3 idi

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know what size exhaust to run on an idi?? What clutch would recommend for it if it needed one?? The pickup only has 150,000 miles on it and it bone stock

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best exhaust for an IDI is a turbo kit. Otherwise, just install a glass pack or something, but you probably won't get noticeable power gains out of it.

Clutch, if you do it, you want to upgrade to a SMF kit - South Bend and LuK make these flywheel kits.
When you upgrade to a SMF, you want to overfill the transmission by 1 quart. It quiets the extra noise that the SMF clutch makes.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Single mass was a good upgrade mines from luk clutch 12.25 inch clutch disk. doesn't break the bank so bad, yes turbo is the way to go, and can be had used for a fair price if on a budget I found my ats kit for 300 dollars at a you pull junk yard for everything. I did all the small mods before I did a turbo gained a little and they will run forever that way 3 inch exhaust is plenty for n/a but 4 inch sounds cooler.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I could be a 3 or 4 inch straight pipe with a turbo or non turbo correct??

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I could be a 3 or 4 inch straight pipe with a turbo or non turbo correct??
Mines n/a and I ran 4" from the y pipe and turned it out just before the right rear. Sounds good but I think it could use a muffler. Hoping a future turbo will quit it down a bit. I didn't notice any performance gains but it did drop about 100 degrees on egts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes with n/a straight pipe is defiantly louder could use a muffler depends on how much you care about noise outside the truck, I would go at least 3 inch exhaust larger won't gain much performance if any but sound quality is better and you loose a little egts with it for turbo or no turbo. With a turbo it quotes it down some

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's with all this muffler talk. its plain and simple, don't use them. LOL

for those that were at the 2012 rally would know my truck has no mufflers. hence the name. oh and the dyno guys had earmuffs on.;Sweet

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! If I did go for a turbo what kind would you guys recommend for it??

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's with all this muffler talk. its plain and simple, don't use them. LOL

for those that were at the 2012 rally would know my truck has no mufflers. hence the name. oh and the dyno guys had earmuffs on.;Sweet
I appreciate straight pipes but when you're trying to hold a hill at the top of 3rd gear with a load and the rear slider open and the radio goes away and there's no hope for a conversation, a straight through doesn't sound like too bad of an idea lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you have the radio up during a pull like that?? The sound of straight pipes is better than music:peelout

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you have the radio up during a pull like that?? The sound of straight pipes is better than music:peelout
I'm usually right there with you but I have my days lol. I need cut outs or a turbo :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online