7.3 idi won't start again

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I took the truck out for a drive and was driving down the road and the truck just turned off and won't start again I have fuel going to fuel filter but now it just won't start again. Any ideas on what this could be?? Injection pump??

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your IP getting power? When you turn the key from "off" to "run" you should be able to hear the solenoid on the IP tick. If you have a test light use that to confirm that the FSS is gettin' power when the key is "on"

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I hear a click I drove it 4 hours home Friday night. It's been running good beside when you rev it up to 2000rpm and let off the throttle it dies unless you tap the throttle as the idle comes down. I was out driving it and it was having black smoke come out the exhaust then it just dies the pump hasn't been touched according to the second owner.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I hear a click I drove it 4 hours home Friday night.
It wasn't clear when / how the truck failed to start in your original post.
Crack a few injector lines to see if your getting fuel to them.
The only time I've had symptoms like that it's been on account of air intrusion or fuel supply blockage. In one instance, the "shower head" had broken off in the front tank and pieces of it were being drawn into my fuel line, blocking it sporadically.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like failed fuel pump/clogged lines to me.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cracked the injector lines but I'm not getting fuel to them I have fuel at the filter so I what do I do now??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What level was the fuel tank at when this happened? You may not see much fuel coming out of the injector hard lines when cranking. It has very little fuel when it is pumping out at full throttle cranking. It is no way like an accelerator pump in a carb will show.