7.3 IDI turbo cold starting problem

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My old reliable truck won't start now.
I got in it this morning, turned on the kyehyvv and let glowplug light go off. Thgen I cranked it...it spuddered and shuttered, way more than usual, and ran for maybe 30 seconds super rough. Then it idled down real slow and died. No biggie, I think. So I do the same thing over...this time it won't fire. Just a normal sound of turning over of the motor.

So I tried this 3-4 times over an hour, no start. It turns fine, just won't start. Any ideas?

Acts fuel starved, maybe needs filter change or fuel pump? Hope its not injector pump. 173,000 miles.
Thanks for reading...

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have air intrusion somewhere, check for fuel leaks on the return lines around the injectors and at the filter head area

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like fuel starvation.
bad fuel pump, clogged line, quirky FSV,

does fuel come out of the Schrader valve?

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pelky350 thanks, I will check.
IDIot thank you, I have not checked the Schrader valve.

I will let you know soon

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It got down to 27 night before Intried to start it. In MS I haven't heard of gelling being an issue. I will ad this info. I have been filling up with diesel from Murphy USA and for last 6 months I noticed a sticker on the pump saying the fuel is upto B20. Maybe that has something to do with it.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved! I got in it today and it cranked right up and ran fine. . Only thing I can figure was Snicklas was correct. It got so cold the fuel jelled and wouldn't go thru the lines. I will keep you posted.

Steelhead guy, I am yet to find a plug for a block heater, but there may be one. Fuel filter was changed 5 months ago, probably due for change again.

Thanks all!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times the block heater cord falls off the plug. If you get under the engine and look above the starter you can see the block heater. The electrical cord is run from there to the passenger side of the radiator.At least mine was till I removed the cord. We never have a need for block heaters in So. Ca. We have "other issues out here" that are not seen in any other states...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it gets cold like this, add a commonly available additive to your diesel to reduce the gel-point.
PowerService's White bottle seems to work and is available everywhere, and there are plenty of other brands which do the same thing.

Also, if you *do* have your block heater going, it'll warm the filter up along with the engine; it's definitely easier to start with a slightly warm engine if nothing else.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling it's going to do it again? If the one poster is correct and it's air intrusion(sure does sound like it, it ran for a little bit and then quit) it will do it again if you let it sit for a few days and then try to start it again. If that is the problem, parking it with the rearend up, the front of the truck down, will help it.

pappy19

Reaction score
Even if your glow plugs are weak, the block heater will help it start. Anytime it gets below freezing, plug it in. Keeps the engine warm and is insignificant on your electric bill. Blue Power Service is better IMHO, and be real careful with your water filter. Any water could freeze and plug the fuel line. Best way to find the plug is to get under the truck and find the block heater, then follow the cord. The factory ties it up and it is hard to find, but all Ford diesels have one.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put new glow plugs and injectors in the truck a couple months ago. I am glad to know all ford diesels have block heaters. The truck used to live in Arizona so may not have been used. I will check when I am back in town.